Wooden shackles

Dom/me, sub, swtich or undecided? Bring your kinky ideas in here!
Mully
Unfettered Newbie

Wooden shackles

Unread post by Mully »

DSCI0024.JPG
Made a new wood shackle the other day and wondering if I should paint, stain or just varnish? And ideas on how to make them better? I cant decide....

justDIY
Tightly Hogtied

Re: Wooden shackles

Unread post by justDIY »

nice woodworking!

hmm, ways to make it better?

add some brass or bronze hardware (plates) to reinforce the thinner areas

replace the padlock hasp with a electromagnet lock

line the holes with leather or rubber, using brass/bronze tacks to hold it on and fancy it up. A cheap source of tough rubber is a bicycle innertube.

replace the padlock hasp with a sliding cabinetry lock, the kind where a locking cylinder slides over a ratcheting bar. The bar can be epoxied into the top piece and the cylinder drilled into the bottom piece. very effective psychological effect as the pieces ratchet closed :)

MelbourneDom
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by MelbourneDom »

I would use a very dark stain and, as mentioned, line the holes with leather or rubber.

Or... you could be very evil and line the holes with something really uncomfortable to discourage the sub from moving?

One Pivot
Chair Bound

Unread post by One Pivot »

Definitely stain it, it'll greatly increase its visual appeal.

The padlock hasp looks out of place. I think a heavy steel sliding pin would fit better and rattle less.
See my handmade leather bondage gear here! https://www.etsy.com/shop/leatherbyonepivot

Mully
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Mully »

Hmm Ive never seen those sliding locks before. I might get one then cut the shackles again and put the lock inside the wood as you said and have the lock in the middle between the wrist/ankle holes.
I have some goat leather I was planning to use to line the holes as its reasonably soft, some brass/antiquey style tacks would look good. I cant add much that would reduce the hole size as they were measured for a fairly tight fit.
Might add a couple D or O rings to the middle edges for rope tie spots.

RAE123
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by RAE123 »

Take a router and round over the inside edges. Less chance of injury, or like some one said, add leather
around the holes. If no router, then a round file will do the job, with some sanding.
I would use a luggage type lock, where you can add a pad-lock. It will keep the slack action that
comes with using hasp lock. Defiantly stain and poly--Urethane.
Rae

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Stahlketten »

What kind of wood works best for this type of thing?
I made a few out of 2x6 Pine many years ago but never put a finish on them.
60 Grit Sandpaper seemed to work pretty well for rounding off the edges but pine is pretty soft wood.
Even with a 1/2 inch radius, these toys are not comfortable to be in with wrists and ankles all locked together.
The one for neck and wrists is more comfortable.
The hinges on ours all seem to be too flexible when attached to boards that are about 3 feet long.
I thought about using Oak, but it was a bit expensive and very very heavy.

- Stahlketten.

FatherOfFour
Chair Bound

Unread post by FatherOfFour »

I tried - no pictures sadly - to improvise some from hazelnut twigs (or willow...)
They are very elastic (or any other basket/chair material), and I could not break them.
If multiple loops are used, they are easier for skin.

It works wonderful with rope...

Have fun, grow a bush...
f4

RAE123
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by RAE123 »

Most 2 X material you find at the Home Centers are Spruce of Fir.
This does work well for a stock.
When I make mine, I always put the wrist holes about 4" in front of
the neck hole. this can be easily done 3 boards, cutting the neck hole in the first one,
and the center one, and the wrist holes in the second and the third board.
I drill a hole for 2 bolts to hold all three together with a large wing nut.
With the wrists being in front of the neck, there is a lot less strain on the
shoulders; hence a longer wearing time.
Now the fun can began. :idea: :D :D
Rader

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Stahlketten »

Thanks RAE123,

Perhaps the material really is something other than pine, but that is what I thought it was.
I also still have some spruce 2x4s in the garage still and the grain on those is quite a bit different:
The grain is very straight, the wood is more pale and not as heavy as what I used for the stocks.
The ones for neck and wrists even with all the holes lined up isn't all that uncomfortable to wear though I have never been locked in them for more than about two hours.
The really uncomfortable ones are the ones for wrists and ankles. I have been locked in those for almost three hours once but even a half hour is not comfortable.
They are still quite functional and secure but over the years, some of them (I made three sets) have warped slightly and I have always been bothered that they dent quite easily and look pretty crude.

My Jailer likes them because it only takes seconds to secure a prisoner in them and they don't look nearly as uncomfortable as they feel.

Thanks.
- Stahlketten.