What does a hood feel like?

Dom/me, sub, swtich or undecided? Bring your kinky ideas in here!
RileySapphire
Strict Strappado

RE: What does a hood feel like?

Unread post by RileySapphire »

So alot of people own them and, unfotunatly I am not one of them. What are they like, and why do you love yours so very much. What is your favorite style/type and why? Im just looking for insight and any special experiences. Maybe the first time you put yours on...how long you have left it on for. Post a picture of yours life you're feeling frisky. Possitive, Negitive, Whatever, lets talk about hoods.

Steph
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Steph »

I have on;y worn a cheaper one in self bondage. Made me panic more as there was no way I was getting the blindfold or gag off before my arms were free. Waiting for the keys to drop was so intence and full of that "what if I can't find them" panic!!!

Davina47
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Davina47 »

Hi Riley,  Hope you're feeling better.I have two hoods, both rubber, though I'm also looking for a leather one.I like the feeling of rubber on my face.  I also like the sensory deprivation it brings, as neither has any eye holes and hearing is reduced.  One of my hoods has a built in inflatable gag.  Simply getting into it is a bit of a struggle as there's no zip.  Once on and th bladder positioned and inflated it's one of the best sensations that I can get in bondage.  But if you're claustrophobic it's not to be recommended.My other hood is easier to get on, as it's got a zip.  There is a hole at the mouth so that a gag or other object can be inserted.  I use a penis gag.  I can wear this combo almost indefinitely and it's great for relaxing bondage.  It's also able to cope with a good thrash about, breathing is not seriously impeded but there is that nice sensation of the latex closing on the face every inhalation. I have two other gags that I'd like to use with this hood, both with harnesses.  One is the classic panel gag, which I've only tried without the hood but gives a wonderful gag sensation.  The other is a harness gag with a ball with breathing tube.  That one is lockable.  The hood with pump up gag is not good for long term bondage, or for any thrashing around as it's fairly easy to lead to breathing difficulties (though up to now not dangerously so.I think it comes down to the feeling of isolation that turns me on with hoods.Hood and penis gagPump up gagDavina472009-03-25 17:25:55

RileySapphire
Strict Strappado

Unread post by RileySapphire »

[quote="Davina47"] One of my hoods has a built in inflatable gag.  Simply getting into it is a bit of a struggle as there's no zip.  Once on and th bladder positioned and inflated it's one of the best sensations that I can get in bondage.  But if you're claustrophobic it's not to be recommended.[/quote]  Interesting you said that...It's going to spark a rant on my part....I can feel it. I have always considered myself to be claustrophobic actually but they fact that I am intriguied by hoods and sensory dep. is actually not very surprising. I am afraid of heights but I love roller coasters. I think that realzing your fears in a safe enviornement especially with a person you trust is one of the best feelings that life has to offer. In fact I have often fantasized about it.  I used to be so afraid of roller coasters and would'nt get on one until I was 17. I went to the local amusment park with a group of friends who lovingly forced me on one. I know thats a contridiction. They basically gave me little choice but were always caring and assuring me that I would be fine. That day is still very memorable to me. I wish that more people would do that for me. I think that that is a big part of why I love bondage. I love being on the recieving end of that "Relax this is for your own good". Being in a trusted enviornment and feeling safe and love while realizing a fear is an unbelievable feeling. To be Lovingly forced. I can hardly decribe it.  Lol, I'm such a sub.   

i3onTop
Chair Bound

Unread post by i3onTop »

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to add to the hood topic :/But -[quote="RileySapphire"] Being in a trusted enviornment and feeling safe and love while realizing a fear is an unbelievable feeling. To be Lovingly forced. I can hardly decribe it.  Lol, I'm such a sub.[/quote]Without derailing the topic I'd like to reply to your post Riley. This is the center of what bondage is about, at least for me. My last girlfriend was a friend for 5 years and we started dating on and off for a couple years after that. She said something similar to this to me after the second time we played. I very much enjoy creating a structured, trusting environment to strip away a person's fears and make them stronger in the end. Love, trust and respect. What life's all about really.heh, such a Top.i3onTop2009-03-25 18:35:23
http://ropeandthings.tumblr.com
無知から知恵へ、光から闇へ

Davina47
Hopelessly Suspended

Well, you're not derailing.  I think if you're going into hoods and strict bondage then trust is absolutely essential.  It's very easy for someone in a hood to panic, even if there's not breathing difficulties.For some it takes time to get used to it.

Trekkie
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Trekkie »

Well, my favorite is this model,

in red leather. (The straps only come in black.)

I guess you could say I'm into hoods. I own four of that one model (with slight differences.) (Guess you could say I really like that model, and I'm really into hoods.)

That one is made with two layers of leather. (The inner layer has the "good side" on the inside.) There's padding between the two layers in several places. (Over the eyes, mouth, and ears.) The padding means that when laced tightly (and why would you not lace it tightly) the inner layer is actually pressing in on you. (The padding over the ears not only makes the hood tighter, but it blocks more sound, too.)

(Although there's what looks like a blindfold on there, there aren't any eye holes in the hood. The "blindfold" strap simply makes the hood press more firmly against your eyes.)

As to how it feels:

With that hood, there's a real feeling of pressure on my head. The hood pretty much molds to my head (which a lot of hoods don't). There's no light whatsoever. (A lot of hoods, with me, there's still a sliver of light that leaks in past my nose. Not this one.)

That said, though, even though the hood molds so well to my face, when I move my head, the hood, I guess the best description is that it resists my movements. I often find myself simply moving my head around. I haven't decided if I'm doing that to try to get the pressure to become more comfortable (it doesn't), or simply to savor the feelings of it firmly resisting.

A lot of people like to wax about the leather smell. I never smell it, myself.

I've never really complained about difficulty breathing with other hoods. (Although I think that's mostly because I intentionally never exert myself while wearing one. Not because they don't inhibit breathing.) But with this one, I'm actually glad it's got a breathing hole for the mouth. I am capable of doing without it. (Once or twice I've cautiously worn a gag underneath. With a ball gag, it becomes really hard to breathe through the mouth. And several times, I've covered the hole with my tongue or lips, just to experiment with nose-only breathing.) But almost always, I find myself periodically peeling back my lips (which is possible, but you have to do it intentionally) so I can supplement the air I'm getting through my nose.

In short, I think I could last quite a while without the mouth hole, but I'd consider it risky enough that I've never actually asked them to make me one without the hole. (And remember, I'm doing self bondage, where I'm in charge of the amount of exertion and stimulation.)

I've never needed a mouth hole with any other hood. (And none of my other hoods have them, not even the others from Mr. S.) But, I'm glad that this one has it.

As to the auditory effect:

I've only worn it once in a situation where there was a good audio to test it with. I wore it once in a session with two dommes. While wearing the hood, they talked to each other. I could tell they were talking, but couldn't make out a single word unless they intentionally raised their voices to make themselves heard by me. (Which was a really hot experience. Being blind, bound by two women, hearing them talking, but I can't tell what they're talking about. Feeling them occasionally touch me as they applied more ropes. Really hot.)   

I've worn hoods for up to an hour when I was wearing them myself. (Longest I've ever worn this particular model is about 45 minutes.) Those times didn't end because I couldn't take it any longer, they ended because I just decided to end it.

Curiously, every time I've worn one with a domme, she hasn't tightened the hood nearly as much as I do (and I think it's safer when it's tight. When loose, it can shift, and then the breathing holes don't line up as well.) and she's removed it long before it became any problem for me at all.

I've fantasized about trying to sleep wearing one. (No other restraints.) But I'm worried that that might be dangerous. (I've read that in fires, sleeping people inhaling smoke will literally suffocate to death from lack of oxygen without ever waking up. I'm worried that the same thing might happen sleeping in a hood: That I might gradually pass from sleeping to hypoxia to death without ever waking up and saying "I need to take this off." If I could be certain that I would wake up if my breathing got labored, then I might try it.)

Dave2112
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Dave2112 »

Riley, you hit upon a very important topic, sweetie. Not derailed at all. It kinda fits in with WHY a lot of folks like things like hoods and such. And i3onTop hit the nail on the head. A great man once said that courage is not a lack of fear, it's being afraid and doing it anyway. Much of BDSM is about overcoming things in your life in a controlled, safe environment. Facing things you could not face otherwise. And for dominants, it's more about helping your sub do this successfully than about getting your rocks off whipping someone. Hell, little darlin'...as you know from conversations we've had, even Doms are often "facing things" and using our wonderful lifestyle to grow and constructively express things they couldn't otherwise. It's how we balance out the whole "D/s Thang" and help each other grow.  Now, on to hoods. I love them, if the person I'm playing with enjoys them. It's the ultimate sensory deprivation, and for me it signifies the pinnacle of "ownership", if that's the dynamic you're working in. As far as how they feel....I can only speak to that a little. I had a play partner once who loved to be "scared". Liked her Dom to be "The Bad Guy"...that sort of thing. So, I wore the mask. Something like what Davina descibed, the zipper-type. Of course, I wasn't in bondage wearing it, but I remember thinking to myself, "Man, this would SUCK if I was!" Even being in control of the scene, I felt very restricted. In an odd sense though...it allowed me to become what my partner wanted. It helped me remove a lot of what I was on the outside and fall very deeply into that Bad Guy role. I found that I rather enjoyed it, actually.  And yes, Riley mah luv... ...you ARE such a sub. ;)

Gavving
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Gavving »

I love hoods as well.  In fact I have the same model that Trekkie talks about.  Except mine does not have the added straps, and it does not have the mouth hole.  But its the same model with the leather lining, padded ears, and flat style face.I've had this hood for almost 9 years now, and its seen alot of use, both solo and with my wife.  Early on I realized that with no mouth hole that just the gromets in the nose were not enough sometimes.  So I ended up kind of cutting out the bottom of the nose area which increased air flow alot and made it so I could wear it longer.  As for what does it feel like, physically the leather is in full contact with every part of your face, depending on how tight you strap it, it can either be a caress or if it's tight it can be a... not crushing, but very tight.  This particular hood was custom made for my head measurements so when tight it fits like a glove.  I'm unable to move my jaw at all for the most part, and can't open my mouth.  Mentally its a very calming feeling for me.  All light is cut out.  Since mine doesn't have the eye straps, I can open my eyes without any impeedence.  Once encased its very quiet, in fact I like to wear ear plugs at the same time, as that further muffles about the only sound you can really hear which is your own breathing.  Once isolated, unable to see, unable to really hear, unable to talk, unable to do much except breathe - its quite a unique feeling.  One that we don't get that much in today's bustling world with distractions and noises everywhere.I can wear it for 1 hr pretty easily.  More than that can start to be a bit of a chore.  I think 3hrs is about my max, and that was with it locked on by my wife/mistress and me unable to do anything about it.  During that time I eventually had to submit completely to the hoods encasement, and it almost felt a part of me.  Oh yeah if tightly worn, it leaves nice seam marks on the face that can stay for quite a while. :)Also I have a latex hood, an inflatiable latex hood with inflatable gag, inflatable latex ball hood, Leather zipper hood with side laces.  All of them are different and feel different....

Davina47
Hopelessly Suspended

Like Trekkie, I don't think I could sleep in my hood with inflatable gag.  Although it is fairly tight the air holes can move.  The zip one doesn't and I have actually dozed with it on.I agree it's the sensation of the touch against the face which counts so much, together with the restriction on movement.   I've actually accentuated the latter with a posture collar - you can see it on one of the pics.I have worn the other three gags without a hood but to be honest I just don't get the same sensory stimulation.Davina472009-03-26 16:36:33

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

I guess a hood is never likely to be useful to me, mainly because it cuts off vision, and, for my solo activities, I need my sight to read combination locks (when a timer-controlled lamp comes on).     If I had a person to play with, though, I'd be willing to try one, although I'd probably want to progress with it in small degrees, since it's possible I'd be a bit uneasy with hoods to begin with.  I guess that's true of anything new I'm trying for the first time.  I've even had containers like lockers or suitcases that seemed very solid when I first got them, and I was quite scared to lock myself in, even wondering if I'd ever use them.  But I do so after a while, and gradually get used to them, and before long they feel normal.     But I have one practical question about hoods: how do you clean them, especially leather ones?  I would imagine that, with repeated contact with the face, they would gradually acquire layers of sweat that would soak in.  I feel pretty sure that, if this were not regularly cleaned, this would eventually cause a strong and disagreeable smell to build up.     How is this prevented? - or is it inevitable, and you just accept it?Regards, Michael.

Gavving
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Gavving »

To be honest I've not 'cleaned' the leather hoods I have.  Although I've sweat in them plenty, I dont have any bad smell on it.  Although my oldest one has pretty much lost the leather smell, which is kinda sad.  [quote]I've fantasized about trying to sleep wearing one. (No other restraints.) But I'm worried that that might be dangerous. (I've read that in fires, sleeping people inhaling smoke will literally suffocate to death from lack of oxygen without ever waking up. I'm worried that the same thing might happen sleeping in a hood: That I might gradually pass from sleeping to hypoxia to death without ever waking up and saying "I need to take this off." If I could be certain that I would wake up if my breathing got labored, then I might try it.)[/quote]While I'm no doctor, my experience with sleep apnea (my wifes mainly) pretty much shows that the human body has some safeguards built in if you're not getting enough oxygen.  I've watched her stop breathing for time periods, then jerk then start up again.  Kinda scary, but it's true.  She doesn't have that problem as bad anymore.  As for sleeping in mine, I have tried more than a few times.  But I find that even if I drift off (and trust me it's hard to tell), that I'll awaken again shortly.  Probably due to lack of good airflow.  After an hour or 2 of this, I take the mask off to go to sleep. :)  I think you'd have to have a good mouthpeice/breathing tube to really be able to do it with reasonable success and minimal risk.http://www.seriousbondage.com has a great article up on Sensory Deprivation.Gavving2009-03-26 23:08:40

Trekkie
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Trekkie »

[quote="LockedInALocker"]      I guess a hood is never likely to be useful to me, mainly because it cuts off vision, and, for my solo activities, I need my sight to read combination locks (when a timer-controlled lamp comes on).[/quote]

Remembering a story I'd read a long time ago.

A dom (I think the story was two gay men) trains his sub to lace himself into a hood, then lock the hood in place with a combination padlock, and then dial the combination by feel.

They practice this maneuver many, many times. Starting with the padlock attached to a collar, and the sub has access to a mirror. And slowly graduate to the sub locking himself in a full hood, and opening the lock by touch.

After he's successfully opened the combination padlock, by touch, five times in a row . . .

The dom spins the dial, says "have fun", and walks out the door.

:)

Trekkie
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Trekkie »

[quote="Gavving"] While I'm no doctor, my experience with sleep apnea (my wifes mainly) pretty much shows that the human body has some safeguards built in if you're not getting enough oxygen.  I've watched her stop breathing for time periods, then jerk then start up again.  Kinda scary, but it's true.  She doesn't have that problem as bad anymore.  As for sleeping in mine, I have tried more than a few times.  But I find that even if I drift off (and trust me it's hard to tell), that I'll awaken again shortly.  Probably due to lack of good airflow.  After an hour or 2 of this, I take the mask off to go to sleep. :)  I think you'd have to have a good mouthpeice/breathing tube to really be able to do it with reasonable success and minimal risk.http://www.seriousbondage.com has a great article up on Sensory Deprivation.
[/quote]

I have slept, bound, while wearing a hood, once. (It was a hood that covered the eyes, but not the mouth or nose.) (The only overnight bondage I've ever done.)

One thing that surprised me about the whole thing: When the domme came in to wake me, I was absolutely convinced that I hadn't slept a wink all night. (I was also absolutely convinced that I'd only been bound 2-3 hours.)

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

[quote="Trekkie"]A dom (I think the story was two gay men) trains his sub to lace himself into a hood, then lock the hood in place with a combination padlock, and then dial the combination by feel. They practice this maneuver many, many times. Starting with the padlock attached to a collar, and the sub has access to a mirror. And slowly graduate to the sub locking himself in a full hood, and opening the lock by touch. After he's successfully opened the combination padlock, by touch, five times in a row . . .[/quote]     Combination locks vary hugely in their ability to be opened by touch alone, so if someone can open one by touch, it doesn't necessarily point to their lock-picking skill or superhumanly delicate sense of touch.  Since this was in a fictional story, quite likely the author didn't think of this, and it doesn't necessarily mean it would be possible with all locks in real life.     But I have never developed any particular skill at lock-picking, and yet there are combination locks even I can pick open by touch within a minute or two - sometimes even within seconds.  I would regard these locks as by definition poor-quality, since they are not secure.  Unfortunately, they are quite common, especially in the smaller sizes that you might use for luggage.  I've come across pickable locks very often, since this size is usually the most convenient for the kinds of situations where I want them.     Typically, you pick them by pulling gently on the shackle and rotating a dial - when the digit is set correctly, the dial will catch slightly - although this is not inevitable, and can also catch falsely, so it can take some time, but still be a lot quicker than running through every possible combination.  (Sometimes a new dial will catch on its correct number only when one or more other dials are already on their correct numbers.)     There are much better-quality ones that, as far as I can tell, cannot be opened by touch at all, but they are not quite as common as you might think, especially in the smaller sizes.     If you are looking for combination locks and want them to be secure, it is worth remembering this.  Unfortunately, if you cannot test the lock in the shop where you buy it, you might just have to waste a certain amount of money buying a certain brand of lock, then testing it to see if it's secure.  But if you keep looking long enough, secure locks can be found even in the small size.     I'm talking about the locks that have three or four dials in a row, each of them set separately, not the kind that have a single dial you rotate.  Those seem completely secure to me, although I have read web sites that claim to tell you how to pick them open.  But the drawbacks of these explanations are: (a) they are rarely described clearly; (b) they are extremely complicated; and (c) the different web sites seem to think the method is different from each other.     In any case, I think these methods are not claiming to tell you how to pick them open in the dark by touch, but rather how (while able to read the dial) to open a lock whose number you've forgotten.     I would expect these locks to be totally unpickable in the dark.  Therefore, if anyone wants to use them for self-bondage, they should be absolutely sure to use them in a situation where, when the sun rises, it will get light enough for the lock to be readable.Regards, Michael.

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

[quote="Gavving"]As for sleeping in mine, I have tried more than a few times.  But I find that even if I drift off (and trust me it's hard to tell), that I'll awaken again shortly.  Probably due to lack of good airflow.  After an hour or 2 of this, I take the mask off to go to sleep. :)  I think you'd have to have a good mouthpeice/breathing tube to really be able to do it with reasonable success and minimal risk.[/quote]     I have my doubts as to whether it is possible to sleep properly in bondage or containment.  I have had very limited success in sleeping inside containers that are probably less taxing than hood usage or some of the kinds of bondage that some people engage in.     I have never been able to sleep for more than an hour or so at a time curled up inside a suitcase.  Air shortage is not a problem, and I can breathe perfectly well; it seems as if it's just that the curled-up position is inherently stressful and disruptive of sleep.     I've had much better success in a surfboard bag, and have on occasion spent 7 or 8 hours locked inside it, much of that time asleep.  But even so, I am quite likely to wake up a few times and sleep is likely to be patchy.  When I do this, I set the timer controlling the lamp to turn on for quarter of an hour every two or three hours, just to give me a way out part-way through if it becomes too much.  Sometimes it is the lamp switching on and its light coming in through the gap in the zipper that wakes me up, and sometimes I just go to sleep again and continue the session; but sometimes I've woken up sufficiently well that it seems I won't go back to sleep, and I open the lock and get out while the light is still on, and continue sleeping in bed in the normal way.     So it doesn't seem to me to be possible to sleep completely properly even in as mild a restriction as a surfboard bag, which is probably the most comfortable container I've yet found.Regards, Michael.

Davina47
Hopelessly Suspended

Well I can't generalise but my own experience is that I can manage the hood and doze and I've got through  nearly three hours that way, and that includes the gag.  But I had to take it off in order to get some sleep.So I find hoods relaxing but not relaxing enough to sleep in. With my zip hood and penis gag, I've never felt any risk of asphyixiating myselff - just had a great feeling from a fairly slight restriction and that lovely feel of the hood gripping the face.I don't use combination padlocks, only the usual key ones and if I'm using the hood with pump up gag I always leave the keys in the locks or ensure that I can undo one of the straps to get my hands free.  It's a bit wimpish but I still get the feeling of restriction. 

Pintocas
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Pintocas »

I looking for a hood and maybe some of you can help me.What i look it's like this:- no eye holes- open mouth- clean face (no snaps or buckles)- lock collar (not necessarily posture)- good desing to fit well- payment by Paypal (if possible)This is what i look to buy my first hood i but don't find yet.And on question now about hoods.When a person is hooded and bounded (with no change to take off the hood) more then one hour, could lose the her balance and her space notion? 

Trekkie
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Trekkie »

Allow me to point out that the same manufacturer where you got that picture also makes this one:

Now, it's not cheap. (Nothing at Mr./Madame S is cheap. I suspect they're the most expensive leather place on the planet.) OTOH, I probably own 8-10 of their hoods (have I mentioned that I like hoods?) and IMO, every single one of them is worth the money.

(I don't own that particular model of theirs, though.)

blondemod
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by blondemod »

Its great as adding another layer of control to an already snug situation.  Snug ones are the best, especially if its a noseholes only type, as that keeps it from sliding around and having the holes drift away from where they are supposed to be. As for effect: You aren't just his "slut", you are now an "anonymous slut" when hooded, which probably reduces some of those last inhibitions some peeps feel.  As my fav Dom reminded me:  sometimes you need to be taken down to where you are just an anonymous pair of breasts, legs, butt and pu$$y for his pleasure. If you've never worn one before, can be a little panicky at first. A good Dom helps you get over that quickly though. How long:  Hours.  As others have posted, you do loose track of time pretty easily, that can be a good thing if it seems faster than it is. Lol, maybe also good thing if it seems slower than it actually is.