Electric Winches

Dom/me, sub, swtich or undecided? Bring your kinky ideas in here!
Ghostrider
Chair Bound

RE: Electric Winches

Unread post by Ghostrider »

I'm kicking around the idea of installing an electric hoist.  Theyseem to be readily available for about $100.  Does anyone have arecommendation for a good electric hoist?  I'd like one that isquiet and has the capability to limit the amount of cable to be let inor out so it can't raise too high.

Darkraptor1
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Darkraptor1 »

I don't know anything about winches or hoists, but the thought of hositing a mummified woman while she squirms is quite appetizing!(By the way, welcome to the forum Ghostrider!)

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

This is something I have thought about for a while, mostly in passing,but the idea has always been very appealing when I do think about it! The only place I could install one would be in the garage, which isfine, except that it is not insulated and would be very easy forneighbors to hear any activities.  Maybe a good gag can fix that. I would be interested in hearing about anyone else who has tried it.
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

subslut1965
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by subslut1965 »

I've used an electric winch a few times. Most have a control on a cord so that even in self bondage situations you can lift yourself. One must make sure that the winch is sturdy and also that whatever it is attached to is strong enough to support at LEAST double your weight. Also be VERY careful to avoid running the controle cable into the winch cable, causing a huge short circuit and completely killing the winch, leaving you hanging for.....

bonds_of_steel
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by bonds_of_steel »

haborfreight.com has them and i have 4 of them in the doungeon and the shop. they work great i have the 440 pound models and they will lift a sub and the cage with pleanty of safty in the streanght of the hoist left over. they are on sale right now for $59.99 + shipping. i highly recomend them bonds_of_steel38673.7704398148

Fogane
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Fogane »

[quote="bonds_of_steel"] haborfreight.com has them and i have 4 of them in the doungeon and the shop. they work great i have the 440 pound models and they will lift a sub and the cage with pleanty of safty in the streanght of the hoist left over. they are on sale right now for $59.99 + shipping. i highly recomend them [/quote]

This one, make sure you get the r in the domain name else you end up at a cyber-squatting search site.

That's a very good price for what looks like an excellent winch.

lanispet
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by lanispet »

i'd go a bit bigger than that for lifting people... 220lbs single line isn't very much (especially for me ). What i've seen suggested by engineering types is a capacity at least 4x the weight of the person being hoisted, as they are not a static load, and someone who is struggling will put far more strain on the hoisting assembly than a lump of metal would.

Also, it is strongly recommended to use a backup line to keep the person from hitting the ground if the winch fails (difficult to do for SB, tho).

Another recommendation is to not mount the winch directly overhead, but to secure it (very well) to a wall, and run the cable through a pulley overhead... that way, if the winch mount fails, the whole unit doesn't land on the captive!

...dave

Guests
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Guests »

You'd certainly want to go for a higher rating than 440lb. If a victim is thrashing around, which they certainly should be, they'd put more weight than is safe. 800lb sounds better. Yeah- what if the power goes off?? 'I'll let you down later darling!' I've never done it with a live victim but have lifted plenty of inanimate objects with winches- seen those ones in warehouses, called travelling gantries? There's food for thought....Running the cable through an overhead pulley from a wall mounted winch would also work if there's not much headroom. tojo

Ghostrider
Chair Bound

Unread post by Ghostrider »

Can anyone quantify how quiet these winches are?  If I'm runningone with someone in the house a few rooms away be able to hear it?

bonds_of_steel
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by bonds_of_steel »

they are like a washing machines in the basment you will know what it is when you turn it on. for the 220 pound model we triple it up with a three pulles even though it is rated for 440 doubl it turnes into 880 when we do this so that i could get more contoll and i have tested this withh 1100 pounds one time just to make sure it was safe and i have had no know problems with it at all. but you are right to always go a little bigger than you think you will need for safty. at the time we bought the four 220 pounders, thats all that they offerd at the time and that was ten years ago and they still run great.