Strong tape

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself.
mtgplayer
Unfettered Newbie

Strong tape

Unread post by mtgplayer »

I was wondering if someone knew what the stickiest (even permanent) waterproof one sided tape there is out there that will adhere well to the skin. I have a few ideas of tape "jewelery" (like cut out a small pattern, etc) but I need at tape that will not come off for a long time even through daily showers. Thanks for your time.

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

Re: Strong tape

Unread post by DarkLizerd »

The main problem with your idea is the oils your skin produces...
it will unstick anything...
But, give Gorilla Tape a try, it is like a heavy duty duct tape...
It may work for what you're after...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...

buck100
Chair Bound

Unread post by buck100 »

Some medical tape is designed to stay on for extended periods. I have had the patches they use for ekg leads stay on for several days. In fact,I finally got them off by sitting in a hot tub for about an hour.

Buck

lttk
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by lttk »

One option is to use doublesided tape first just over the lips to stick them together and duct tape on top of that.

Any tape can be good enough but your skin oil's are the enemy. Put tape on and remove it 3-4 times as long as your skin doesn't become sensitive you should be ok. That removes the residue and dead skin cell's which causes a much better stick.

Other than that there is Tuck tape, that carpenters use. It sticks really good but when removed, the adhesive remains behind most of the time.
lttk
On Fetlife as well. Pm for name.

paul_7005
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by paul_7005 »

I think that the flexibility of the tape is important. An elastoplast will stay in place for days without particularly strong adhesive because it stretches.

restrainedsybarite
Chair Bound

Unread post by restrainedsybarite »

Medical tapes are designed to stick to skin, yes; but they are also designed to release without causing damage. You might try your hand with tegaderm (google it) though it may not be suitable for what you have in mind. 3M makes a number of medical tapes and dressings that might do something similar to what you're looking for. Any non-medical tape may have issues with the adhesive causing rashes or worse as they are not meant for extended contact with the human body. Also, sweat will release just about anything from your skin. Hard experience has taught me that urethane based adhesives will stick to your skin for several days; essentially the length of time it takes for the skin underneath to renew itself (a process that is constantly happening in everyone's body). You might be tempted to use something like that and some sort of patch/appliance on top; but again, this is not a chemical that is meant to be in prolonged contact with the human body. What I'm saying is : go with something meant to stick to your body, don't try and repurpose something else.