Electric interval timer needed

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself.
phayamoa
Unfettered Newbie

Electric interval timer needed

Unread post by phayamoa »

I need an interval timer that will turn on the vacuum for my latex mattress every 10 minutes for no more than a few 15 seconds. I looked at lowes and I could not find such a product. I did a google search and didn't quite find out what I wanted.

Mechanical appliance timers look great, but I don't really want a vacuum on for 30 minutes.

seidenki
Strict Strappado

Re: Electric interval timer needed

Unread post by seidenki »

Such timers have been available for years, but can be a bit tricky to find. I remember a gym I went to thirty years ago had just such a device for sounding the buzzer for circuit training. It was hard-wired into power, though.

Have a look in stores that sell electronics kits or electrical supplies.

Sei.
Embrace your inner wierdo! No-one else will! (No, they'd be more likely to lock it up and throw away the key...)

SergioUK
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by SergioUK »

You don't say where you are but in the UK these are available from the usual electronics wholesalers such as RS Components, Farnell, CPC etc, possibly even Maplin. But as seidenki says, they're hard-wired and I'm guessing you'd prefer something that just plugs in.

If you're a bit techy then an Arduino and a mains relay would be the business but if you don't want to get your hands dirty then perhaps an X10 home automation mains switch and computer interface would be easier. There are lots of remote controlled switches and computer interfaces on the market but either way you'd have to knock up some code to switch it on for a minute or two to evacuate the bag and then go into the slower on-off cycle until it's time to let you out. With the Arduino solution you could add a pressure sensor so the vacuum comes on whenever it's needed.

Maybe explain a bit more about what you're trying to achieve, location (for the right mains supply parts), budget and your technical ability.

justDIY
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by justDIY »

A cheap solution would be:

1. Photographic interval timer from ebay
2. 4x AA battery pack
3. A DC controlled AC solid state relay (and heatsink)
4. A spare power cord for a computer or some such
5. An outlet + outlet box big enough to hold the outlet, relay and battery pack

The photographic interval timer will handle your short on time + long off time needs perfectly.
The 4x AA battery pack provides 6-volts to switch the solid state relay yet not damage the interval timer.
The relay handles the grunt work of turning the vacuum on and off.
The spare power cord gets its female end cut off and wired into the relay and outlet, and the male end plugs into your mains.

SergioUK
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by SergioUK »

Aha! Lots to choose from if you search on ebay for "Repeat Cycle Timer".