Prevent handcuffs from overtightening - simple DIY

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself.

Prevent handcuffs from overtightening - simple DIY

Unread postby xhr92 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi there,

I'm sure it's widely known, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the forums and I never saw it on any pictures, so I might as well share it with everyone:

To prevent your handcuffs from overtightening, apply a ziptie at the end of the teeth (and tighten it so it doesn't move under tension).

Of course, this is useless if you can reliably double-lock your cuffs yourself. But with the ones I have (Viper), you have zero tactile feedback and you have to push the key in a weird position. That's close to impossible to do when your hands are behind your back and you are blindfolded (and that's a risk I do not want to take myself).

You can also get cuffs that are easier to double lock (some have a button you can press with your fingers).

This makes the cuffs a little less comfortable to wear, sadly. I wear fingerless gloves to help a little.

Stay safe,
xhr92
Attachments
web_IMG_4698.jpg
web_IMG_4699.jpg
xhr92
Unfettered Newbie

Re: Prevent handcuffs from overtightening - simple DIY

Unread postby SergioUK » Mon May 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Just recently I explained the same trick here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102242&hilit=+ratchet#p901107

But your post illustrates perfectly that a picture's worth a thousand words. Thanks for sharing!
SergioUK
Chair Bound

Unread postby 1inmate » Sat May 30, 2015 7:23 am

xhr92 wrote:Hi there,

I'm sure it's widely known, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the forums and I never saw it on any pictures, so I might as well share it with everyone:

To prevent your handcuffs from overtightening, apply a ziptie at the end of the teeth (and tighten it so it doesn't move under tension).

Of course, this is useless if you can reliably double-lock your cuffs yourself. But with the ones I have (Viper), you have zero tactile feedback and you have to push the key in a weird position. That's close to impossible to do when your hands are behind your back and you are blindfolded (and that's a risk I do not want to take myself).

You can also get cuffs that are easier to double lock (some have a button you can press with your fingers).

This makes the cuffs a little less comfortable to wear, sadly. I wear fingerless gloves to help a little.

Stay safe,
xhr92

While I have never had the problem, I like your solution.

Thanks
1inmate
Chair Bound

Unread postby merlot_vin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:07 pm

And in a pinch, you can use electrical tape in the same fashion to cover some of the teeth.
merlot_vin
Unfettered Newbie

Return to Self-Bondage