3d printer fun

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself.
bart4111
Chair Bound

3d printer fun

Unread post by bart4111 »

Hi all been gone for a bit but still around. I now have access to a MAKERBOT! and I'm so happy. My first project is a printed ice lock, it goes down tomorrow hopefully have pictures to post tomorrow!

bart4111
Chair Bound

Update

So after some tweeking and test prints, I finally got a good base and a solid print. It's in the freezer now, and as soon as she's frozen through, product testing will begin!
20151020_164024.jpg

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

Re: 3d printer fun

Unread post by stephanie_cd »

Quite the creative use of 3D printing technology -- I'm sure many of us are looking forward to hearing about (or seeing pictures of) the testing process! :)

MsBehavin
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by MsBehavin »

That looks great Bart. You'll have to tell us about how testing your printed ice lock goes.

bart4111
Chair Bound

Catastrophic failure of the case. Going to reorient the print struct ur e, and ad some gussets, report back on v2

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

Unread post by stephanie_cd »

bart4111 wrote:Catastrophic failure of the case. Going to reorient the print struct ur e, and ad some gussets, report back on v2
Ouch -- I'm guessing that the larger, outer piece didn't hold up to the expansion as the water turned to ice? :(

One easy solution is to not fill that section completely, so the water has some room to expand, but I'm guessing you already tried that with the first test.

bart4111
Chair Bound

yes the case failed on a pull test with surprisingly little force. Under a pull test the loop end failed due to grain orientation. It was printed with vertically with the loop end up, creating a weak spot at both ends. V2 will be printed with a lateral grain so top, bottom, and sides will all be one strand, hopefully that will solve the issue. I will also include a "fill line" just for good measure to avoid volumetric failures.
The blue lines indicate secondary and tertiary failures.
20151023_110644.jpg

firefinal
Chair Bound

Unread post by firefinal »

The main issue with 3D printer products is usually the brittleness of the material. As its printed layer by layer the tensile strength of the materials are generally low. To compensate that, you can make much thicker walls/connections. :) But seeing your response I think you already figured that out with adjusting the grain orientation.

Would be interesting to see the end result tho :)

Cd Tammy
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Cd Tammy »

What about adding some slots for water to expand out of when it freezes?

BoundToWait
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by BoundToWait »

Never had a 3D printer, but I really like the idea, never thought in this direction :)

danfurbiss
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by danfurbiss »

Could you post the files? It looks very well designed, and I have been looking for a 3d printed ice lock for a while now, and haven't found anything