new vault project diy

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself.
hytech
Unfettered Newbie

new vault project diy

Unread post by hytech »

hi, new to forum but been lurker for years. I wanted to share a project I have been working on for weeks now. the core is the newer vault- auto opening door safe, https://www.harborfreight.com/017-cu-ft ... 62984.html. only about $75. I bought one and tore it down. locking mechanism is very clever. it uses a fall away catch that is screw driven and can release even when force is applied. door is spring loaded and pops open. also has manual key bypass top open for safety.

I set out to replace the original pcb with my own design, form-fit -function using atmega328 processor. GREAT RESULTS! I fabed bunch of pcbs and built them...wrote some code and works great. I use all the safe original user interface-4 button keypad- led light and piezo sound. I am working on Bluetooth interface with phone that is working well so far, still testing. my next plan is to install esp8266 and connect house wife thus to web-internet of things! I will post a writeup of build soon.

wife and I had great dual bondage session this weekend! setup safety release, all keys in safe, chain us together, set time for hour. also had solo session with wife moderator/antagonizer!

btw, I think locking mechanism could be repurposed for other uses, doors, chain hooks, furniture. great lock, self contained steel compartment.

hytech
Unfettered Newbie

Re: new vault project diy

Unread post by hytech »

design goals; do not ruin integrity of safe. use all original input and output devices. do not harm door mechanism. Should not have to have extra wires, hacks, cuts or other. must power of original power supply.

User software; keyboard with only 4 buttons is input method. 1rst and 2nd key are for time adjust, 3rd key is manual door open and 4rth is start or cancel timer event. LED and piezo are user feedback methods. the LED and piezo should be able to beep and flash back time settings or time remaining. they should also be able to sound "low battery" or end time countdown, or timer start cancelled. believe me, it is hard to use only led flashing and noise to act is only user feedback.

The first issue is how I want program segregated. There is a function loop that sets time, then one that starts timer counts down time. use should have 5 seconds to bail out of start (any key press during 5 second countdown). the LED and piezo sound off remaining minutes once a minute.

initially timer is capped at 100 minutes, but could be much longer. but in user led and beep, I flash and beep the upper number of minute, then lower number of minutes. so for 35 minutes, you would hear 3 beeps, pause, lower pitch 5 beeps. same with LED flashing. these are sent for each key press up and down in minutes.

there is also a rigorous battery measurement, running motor during measurement. if battery pack is less than 5.3V, door opens and timer cancels. door is now set to manual open with button touch. this mode remains until new batteries installed.

I am still working on adding aggressive battery saving low power mode and hibernation. I think I can get month run time and months of standby. right now I get one weekend of batteries.

I am still working on how to upload my photos, perhaps someone can give me rules and what type files I can upload.

MORE TO COME SHORTLY!

hytech
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by hytech »

shown here is original green PCB, next to newly RED fab PCB. the red was made as a coupon on edge of a larger PCB I was making. I want to redesign this board yet again, perhaps add RGB led instead of red and fix few footprint issues and maybe go with some different, easier to build parts.
Attachments
RED GREEN SIDE BY SIDE_LABEL.jpg

this_girl
Chair Bound

Unread post by this_girl »

Hi,

Unfortunately, your original link to Harbour Tools does not work for me but I suspect that it is only a link to a sales site for the vault.

For me, pictures of your circuit boards (pretty as they are) do not really help. Although I appreciate that you may not want to share, full circuit diagrams may help me understand.

I assume that you changes have invalidated you guarantee but I wish you a lot of joy with your new toy.

hytech
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by hytech »

I appoligize, work distracted me. Also, i have bunch of photos and schemo, but seems they are wrong size for upload, i am not sure rules about size but most my photos are not conforming so i must play around with it.

Give me few days to get on top if it.

Petrajane
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Petrajane »

hytech wrote:I appoligize, work distracted me. Also, i have bunch of photos and schemo, but seems they are wrong size for upload, i am not sure rules about size but most my photos are not conforming so i must play around with it.

Give me few days to get on top if it.
As far as I know, JPG, PNG and GIF file types should load fine, overall size may be an issue though. I've just tried to upload an image just shy of 1Mb and the forum loaded it quite happily.
Could you clarify the size (pixel xy and file type and size) of an image that you are struggling with please? Alternatively, use an image host such as imgur as suggested in the Images FAQ.

ruru67
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by ruru67 »

Petrajane wrote:As far as I know, JPG, PNG and GIF file types should load fine, overall size may be an issue though. I've just tried to upload an image just shy of 1Mb and the forum loaded it quite happily.
Could you clarify the size (pixel xy and file type and size) of an image that you are struggling with please? Alternatively, use an image host such as imgur as suggested in the Images FAQ.
Does phpBB do image resizing on upload? If so, it might be worth turning it on and allowing larger images - my phone is taking 4MB 15 megapixel images and it's not new, and actual cameras are producing bigger & bigger images. Re-sizing for upload is a pain in the arse, and it's not as if the images take up much room or bandwidth once resized.

Petrajane
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Petrajane »

ruru67 wrote: my phone is taking 4MB 15 megapixel images and it's not new,
I think you'll find that 4Mb are too big for most forums, might be worth considering imgur (as suggested in the image FAQs) for hosting, then just copy and paste a link to the image, there's usually an option to paste the link so the image shows in the post.

hytech
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by hytech »

I will post what I am able, but I get this error on some...The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 800 pixels wide and 0 pixels high. The submitted image is 833 pixels wide and 604 pixels high. I have already reduced size twice and they are less than 100k...
Attachments
SAFE WITH LOCK_SMALL.jpg

hytech
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by hytech »

Well I am trying to upload schematic, but PDFs are not allowed...GUess I can take pic of it, but will be terrible...

this_girl
Chair Bound

Unread post by this_girl »

hytech wrote:Well I am trying to upload schematic, but PDFs are not allowed...GUess I can take pic of it, but will be terrible...
Try displaying the pdf and then take a screen capture as a jpg or another format that is acceptable.

hytech
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by hytech »

No, the pic created is just unreadable when reduced to necessary size to meet posting limit. I need a place to post a pdf or zip file.

I am sorry i have not been more promt, busy at work and going on vacation next week. I will get more proactive when i return. In mean time need place to host pdf.