Autospanker Project

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself.
Regenpak
Chair Bound

RE: Autospanker Project

Unread post by Regenpak »

I've been intrigued with the idea of an autospanker for years now. Finally I've decided to do something about it and throw my engineering skills at my Autospanker Project. There are two design challenges:
1. The bench itself
2. The spanker

For the bench I found an excellent project at The Institute which I will use as the basis. I have a trolley that I intend to use as foundation, and build a bench on top of it, like this:

Note that all sizes are in metric centimeters (hey! maybe I should call the contraption Eurospanker! )

To be solved are the following issues:
- what kind of wood to use? Square or rectangular? And is 6 cm sufficient?
- must include headrest as in Jim's pony
- what kind of fixation?

The first is easily solved by a trip to the hardware store. The headrest ditto. The fixation is a matter of available materials. The thigh straps are simple leather belts to keep my butt in position. I will also include a wide belt for my waist. The wrist restraints need a bit more creativity: the left will be a regular Posey heavy duty cuff. The right also, but attached a metal plate that is held by a door magnet. Farnell carries a nice, heavy unit (MCX300U). Surely my arm can't exert a force of 300 kg...

Then comes the spanker itself. I could not find out the mechanism used by the likes of Robospanker. So I see two possibilities: solenoid and motor-driven. I really like the solenoid, because it is totally unexpected whereas the motor will start whirring before a stroke. The solenoid should move a bracket to which the paddle or whip is attached, the motor uses some kind of spring-loaded bracket moved by some excentric plate. I'll order the parts from Pharnell and do some experimenting.

Any progress I will post here, and comments are most welcome!

doclock
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by doclock »

My first comment would have to be: Fantastic! I desperately wish I had the space and privacy to make something like this, not to mention the actual building skills necessary. Keep us updated, I'd love to see pics of the finished article.

Regenpak
Chair Bound

Oh, I will!

There is another consideration why I am such a fan of a solenoid: you can overload that sucker enormously! The spec of the intended BLP solenoid is that while the continuous power is 10 W, with 10% duty cycle it's 100 W. Now I don't know what the power of a good whack is, but a little voice inside me says that it's less. And it is real easy to jack up the power. A typical switch-mode power supply (SMPS) is easily modified for different voltages. Now if at nominal power the voltage is 12 V, at 25% duty cycle (four times the power) the voltage is only 24 V, and at 10% it's still no more than 38 V. The current then is a manageable 2.6 A. No rocket science here. I have a 42 V SMPS that will laugh at that, and will happily reduce down to 12 V. And at 42 V can deliver 120 watts into the coil. Because it is only on for a very short time (WHACK!) this should be perfectly acceptable. All this is controlled by a simple PIC microcontroller (16F628A with PicBasic or assembly software code in it) and a beefy power MOSFET. The magnet for the wrist cuff is also powered by a separate 12 V power supply. And the whole shebang is fed from mains power via a timer. Loss of power=freedom.Regenpak2010-08-15 07:34:37

Regenpak
Chair Bound

Wow- that power supply didn't exist. I had mistaken it for a 48 V output while it's 48 V input. I looked at modifying another one but that seemed too much hassle. So I built a "wham bam thank you ma'am" circuit which seems to work reasonably well. It nicely adjusts from 10 to 40 volts. During testing I blew up the power FET. As they say, "needs some work"...

thetowel
Strict Strappado

Unread post by thetowel »

great plans, love it. i've used the electromagnets a fair few times, should be more than enough to hold part of a person.

Regenpak
Chair Bound

Parts are ordered. This weekend hopefully can try that solenoid. And buck converter.

I'm curious if my design assumptions are valid.

thetowel
Strict Strappado

Unread post by thetowel »

seems very thought out. just wondering why there is such a level of complexity for it. couldnt you use a transistor and a capacitor? if its just for complexities sake, then i love it completely

Incapacitate
Chair Bound

Unread post by Incapacitate »

I simply just had to post this!This is a real invention with a real patent (but it does have competition). Energy-saving self-propelled buttock-kicker. Boot-loads of satisfaction!

seidenki
Strict Strappado

Unread post by seidenki »

I'm reminded of a story I read some years ago about a bondage resort. One of the "activities" was a tricycle race. Only the occupant was locked onto it, and there was a spanking mechanism attached to the back wheels. And it didn't have brakes! Sei.
Embrace your inner wierdo! No-one else will! (No, they'd be more likely to lock it up and throw away the key...)

Regenpak
Chair Bound

[quote="thetowel"]couldnt you use a transistor and a capacitor?[/quote]
I'll use a transistor (power MOSFET) and a solenoid. I intend to have the solenoid pull a bracket with a whip. The buck thingie is needed to provide power to the solenoid. I just got my stuff today and it feels like it's up to the task, especially when overdriven. The mechanical construction is more of a challenge as I'm not a mechanical engineer. But I'll prolly figure it out.

@Incapacitate: Heh- came across it but I can't see that being installed in my play room!

@seidenki: That's be fun!Regenpak2010-08-20 16:12:39

Regenpak
Chair Bound

While I'm getting hopeful results, it becomes clear that the solenoid I'm using is way too feeble to provide any meaningful... impact. At the highest voltage it only leaves faint red welts on my leg.

Fortunately there are stronger units to be had so I'll order those soon. I now have the power supply finished:

and the controller. The bracket for the whip is done:

There is no bearing but a pole made of a M4 bolt screwed in the wooden base. The bracket slides over a steel spoke (from a bike) in an attempt to minimize friction. The original riding whip proved way too heavy (95 grams) so I changed it for a carbon fiber whip (5 mm rod of 53 cm, only 7 g)

The sensor for the position of the bracket was liberated from an old computer ball mouse and is a work of (ahem) art:

This sensor works beautifully! When the PIC controller activates the solenoid and the bracket moves out of the sensor it is switched off and swings back for maximum resonance and (hence) impact. At various voltage levels it looks like this:

My trusty Philips PM3055 was set to 2 V/div and 20 ms/div.

The controller source code is here.

TODO: random program, voltage selection of the power supply (four levels) and of course the bench itself...

Edit: fixed linksRegenpak2010-08-22 14:06:10

Regenpak
Chair Bound

Re: Autospanker Project

Wow... a five year hiatus! Obviously this project never left my mind so one sleepless night all fell into place. The bench, the solenoid drive and control and the fixation. The bench is still in the ideas phase but it should be a collapsible board with triangular sides that can fold inward. My head will be at its lowest point. Fixation is fairly trivial, will use a clamp around the base of my cock to hold my butt in place. For arms and torso I'll use Segufix restraints but it can be anything really. Padding and PVC cover should complete it.

Leaves the solenoid drive and control. I've redone the mechanical construction. I tossed the location sensor, don't need it. The connection between the plunger and the bracket for the whip has been redesigned. The whole bracket has been lifted so the construction is much simpler. I gave the carbon fiber cane to someone, will pick another up tomorrow or so. The whipper module goes underneath the board and gets mounted on a hinge. This will allow the whip to swing so it hits different parts.

The control is by a Microchip PIC16F628A. It does the high voltage generation, switches on the actuator for a short time and has a random program with varying intervals and intensity. All except that program is done. The solenoid is rated at 12 volts but it will provide much stronger punch with up to 160 V. The reservoir capacitor (10,000 uF) I use is rated at 100 volts. I expect this to leave some serious welts... Oh, also tossed the power supply. I use a small wall wart (12 V, 18 W) which delivers plenty of power.

justDIY
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by justDIY »

quite a hiatus on that project. it is fun though to clear the dust from an old project and address the problems from a fresh light.

apologys if you've already covered this, but make sure you have a substantial free-wheel diode across that solenoid to clamp the back emf.

Regenpak
Chair Bound

Yup, totally covered. I don't think it'd be a problem really as the voltage across it decays real fast by itself. It is on for only 64 ms, enough to make it slam against its end plate, but the reservoir capacitor only discharges from 58 to 33 volts. Still, current won't be zero so it's there. Haven't scanned the schematic yet (more doodles really) but here are some shots of the solenoid module:

The huge reservoir capacitor:

The controller:

The servo:

and finally the wall wart, only because it's also from Siemens:

justDIY
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by justDIY »

that looks like a really beefy solenoid compared to your first build :) should provide for some good times!

KinkyTrash
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by KinkyTrash »

Wow! Super cool project! I want to see some pictures of the structure. Looking through everything else... I'm lost. :lol: And on the second sketch, I can't really tell what angle I am looking at it from, or the scale of the thing. Think you could dumb these down a little for the lesser minds? That's okay. I do have a few other questions though. The thing labeled wrist cuff, I see has a twin on the other side. This might just be me not looking at it right, but what is that one for? And where would the spanking thing be? I really think I'm just looking at it wrong, again, but hear me out. And where the thigh strap is, I assume that is where the "victim" would go? Just so you have an idea on how I am (incorrectly) looking at this. And is the platform below important? Like to hold the mechanism? And how about the thing up top? I think that's all out of me for now. Sorry for not being a rocket surgeon! :lol:

Regenpak
Chair Bound

@KinkyTrash: The drawings have been superseded by a new insight. The platform must be re-engineered and the whipper attached to it so it's actually effective. So that's the next step for now. And more functionality in the software.

Regenpak
Chair Bound

Went to the hardware store today. This is the result:

I'd say this is a bona fide spankable butt :gag:

Todo: attachment points for the restraints. There's also a potential issue with my feet. A spreader bar may be the solution. It also looks like the swinging arc the whip must make is more than 90 degrees. That's a lot for an elliptic wheel on a servo.
Last edited by Regenpak on 16 Sep 2015, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

KinkyTrash
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by KinkyTrash »

Looks good. Just as long as you are comfortable on that thing.

Regenpak
Chair Bound

Time will tell. The fun will be in concocting the code for the controller. I'm thinking of putting a sort of cage around the swinging solenoid module to prevent my feet interfering with it. Will also solve the issue if I put it on the mattress of my padded cell. The padding would puff up jamming the swinging module.

In the meantime I calculated that the reservoir capacitor contains a maximum of 36 J (joules) of energy. If this is transferred fully to the whip it will provide quite a whack. I also think the 5 mm carbon fiber pipe (aka cane) must be replaced with a solid rod. More mass to transfer those joules with. But testing will reveal all...