Applying fibreglass bandage

All wrapped up and noplace to go, just the way you like it!
paul_7005
Unfettered Newbie

Applying fibreglass bandage

Unread post by paul_7005 »

Hi there,
I made an initial trial with fibreglass bandage (self wrapped from knees to ribs) to get some practice with the material. Aside from a very minor chafe against a hardened and not stuck down end a successful first outing.

It is easy to wrap a generally cylindrical shape but I can see good conformance on corners and bulges being difficult without pressure while the tape is curing. Is this about wrapping tighter or is there a "green" stage for moulding ? I think the tape is air-curing so you really have to wrap fast.

My third roll did not bond with the previous ones - which had already cured. On subsequent inspection I did not have a big overlap. Does it generally bond and is that about better overlap and pressure while curing ? Or do you have to maintain a wet edge ?
Paul

strangehobbies
Tightly Hogtied

Re: Applying fibreglass bandage

Unread post by strangehobbies »

I usually wrap the fibreglass casting tape dry and then spray water over it to make it cure. While it's curing you need to rub it down with your (gloved) hands to make the different layers fuse together. If you add a new layer over one that is fully set it will not adhere as strongly.

paul_7005
Unfettered Newbie

Thanks for the information. Yes that seems less messy and seemed to cure more rigidly too.

enzo59
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by enzo59 »

Hello,
I'd like to try fiberglass mummification but I need your advices. Do you put the bandages directly on your skin or is there something between ? And how do you remove the fiberglass when it's dry ?
Thanks for your answers !

paul_7005
Unfettered Newbie

As far as I can tell you need some padding for 3 reasons:- to keep the resin off skin; for comfort as the fibreglass is solid against joints etc; the fibreglass has sharp edges; for comfort when sawing through with an oscillating saw (oh that is 4 reasons).