What to do against limbs going numb

All wrapped up and noplace to go, just the way you like it!
cgwm
Chair Bound

What to do against limbs going numb

Unread post by cgwm »

Hi again,

since i posted my self mummification setup i managed to get it to be quite good and tight.
After trying arms behind the back and arms crossed over chest (both times the arms going numb after quite
a short time) I though i might try to just place the arms straight down to both sides of the body, with no bent
elbows.
But unfortunately still my hands became numb after a short time making it really uncomfortable and making me worry.

So i wondered if anybody has an idea / tips for a way to place/put the arms so they won't go numb so fast?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Greetings,
cgwm
You can also find me on Facebook or on Visibleshape

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Re: What to do against limbs going numb

Unread post by Franzia »

Of course tightness is what it's all about, but arms can go numb if bent or kinked-up in certain positions, depending on the person and length of time. Arms straight at your sides is the best choice for duration and comfort, but if your hands still go numb, the most likely possibility is that the wrapping is just too tight.

Next time, with arms at your sides, try using a Houdini-like flexing of the arms or hands slightly outward during the wrapping process to create just a touch of strategic slack. Then when you relax, it should still be reasonably tight but not so tight that it interferes with circulation.

cgwm
Chair Bound

Unread post by cgwm »

Hey Franzia,

thank you very much for that idea.. i will definitely try to do that the next time.
(Although its a bit against the idea of being tightly wrapped :) )

Greetings,
cgwm

mummygirlToronto
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by mummygirlToronto »

I personally put some washclothes in between both my wrists, elbows, and in between the knees.
I am not particularly big and those parts of my body are fairly bony...and you don't think about such small details until you are wrapped tightly.

But seriously some padding between wrists and shoulders and arms on your side is my savior for not having numbs arms. However I cannot recommend a why of doing so while doing self-mummification...maybe wrap the clothes under a layer from mid tights to armpits under the plastic wrap and then however you normally do your arms on top?

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Franzia »

I had the impression it may have been wrapping that was just too tight overall, but yes Mummygirl, padding can be a great help, especially between the joints like ankles and knees or even wrists and hip bones (if arms are at sides). And if cloth pads aren't enough- sponges work very well.

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

Hallo. Just a stray thought, and it may be unfounded; but I do wonder whether your overall fitness has anything to do with whether you go numb too easily or too quickly. If you feel you are not as fit as you might be, I wonder whether doing a bit of exercise and improving your circulation and increasing your flexibility may help.
     (The suggestion may be a few months late - but I find I am not visiting or posting here so often now - sadly, I get the impression the Bound Forum is slowly changing direction, and going in directions that interest me less.)

Regards, Michael.

cgwm
Chair Bound

Unread post by cgwm »

Hey Michael,

thanks for your input.
I wouldn't wonder of the overall flexibility or fitness would have to do something with it.
Pretty sure training would help something here, but since I was talking about placing the arms right besides
the body, i didn't think of that possibility.

Best,
cgwm

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

cgwm wrote:I wouldn't wonder of the overall flexibility or fitness would have to do something with it.
Pretty sure training would help something here, but since I was talking about placing the arms right besides
the body, i didn't think of that possibility.
     I wouldn't have expected problems if your arms are straight beside your body. I'm unfortunately not as fit as I might be - and sometimes think, for the sake of my type of self-bondage, I should try to do something about it, in the form of exercise - but I don't happen to enjoy any type of formal exercise, so I'd be battling there. But, for instance, when I get into a surfboard bag and lock it from inside, I am usually lying straight. I can move my arms about, including bending my elbows so that my hands can reach my head - but it's tight and movement of arms is difficult, so I tend to leave them straight by my sides, and numbness is not a problem there. If I bend them or put them in another position where there is stress, numbness can set in if I stay like that too long, but it is quickly relieved when I return them to my sides.
     If you are having problems with numbness even in that situation, I would examine whether there is too much pressure on any part of your arms, caused by bag surfaces, rope, handcuffs, etc. Pressure, especially in the funny-bone area, might cause issues of this sort.
     Of course, with me, ropes and cuffs are not an issue, since, inside a bag, I must leave my hands free so that, when the time comes (i.e., the timer-controlled lamp switches on), I can open the combination lock again. It's fortunate that I prefer it that way, anyway - since, if I really wanted to be tied or cuffed as well, it simply wouldn't be feasible, working on my own as I do. I think it's a part of my kink that whatever container I'm locked in is the *only* thing which is causing my helplessness.

Regards, Michael.