can i drill a hole on the latex mask

Pass the talc powder please!
kenny1999
Chair Bound

can i drill a hole on the latex mask

Unread post by kenny1999 »

i 've got a latex mask, made of good latex with bubble gum smelling. I want to make holes at the back so that i can tighten the mask with lace. Is it difficult to drill holes on the back? will it tear off the whole latex mask?
Thank you

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

Re: can i drill a hole on the latex mask

Unread post by DarkLizerd »

drill may not work because the materal will most likely try and twist...
A leather punch would work better...
But... as for it tearing under stress of being tightened...
That would be the major concern...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...

kenny1999
Chair Bound

Unread post by kenny1999 »

DarkLizerd wrote:drill may not work because the materal will most likely try and twist...
A leather punch would work better...
But... as for it tearing under stress of being tightened...
That would be the major concern...

It 's because I buy a mask from ebay but I forgot to request for holes and laces.
All masks are handmade by the seller. So I think it's possible to make holes. He has masks with holes as an option and the holes are mounted by some metallic circles.
I want to know if it's that hard to DIY by myself. I buy from international. Return is unlikely and costly

Rubbertje_83
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Rubbertje_83 »

Drilling doesn't sound like a good idea. Normally you need indeed a leather punch to make the holes. But you can use common household tools too.

But what you can do is make a split in the back of the mask. Put the mask on and pinch the latex how much you want it tighter. Around the neck, at the beginning of your skull and were the split should begin. Try to mark it with a felt-tip pen. Draw the split completely and cut it out.

You'll also need an extra piece of latex. to make sure the holes are strong enough. You'll need about 1,5 to 2mm thickness of the latex to make the holes strong enough. So cut 2 pieces of the same length as your split and about 4cm wide. You can glue it double over the edges of the split. Glue another piece 2x4cm perpendicular to the end of the split on in and outside to avoid further tearing. If you need advise on gluing, just ask.

Try this technique first on a leftover piece. You may may need 2 layer of tape.
Put paper masking tape (for painting) on both sided of the split and of the latex. Use a good paper puncher and make the holes along the edges, around every 2cm or 2.5cm.

Last but not least: reinforce those holes with metal eyelets. Otherwise latex will tear if you tighten it.

Send some pics of the result ;-)

John123
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by John123 »

Whenever you do anything with latex it is about the control of the latex. So, as mentioned, drilling does not sound as though you have the most control. Leather punch sounds good but better still is a stud press. Haberdasheries sell these :)

Any questions, happily answered ~ http://www.latexworkshops.com/site/contact/

LatexHood
Chair Bound

Unread post by LatexHood »

No.
Do not drill it.

On thin latex, a paper hole punch works well.
Remember to reinforce the hole(s) though.
Ideally with a secondary piece of latex glued underneath/ontop.

J.

szlovak
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by szlovak »

like said, never leave any sharp formed shape, it will be starting point for disaster