Latex and Security

Pass the talc powder please!
EricJP65
Unfettered Newbie

RE: Latex and Security

Unread post by EricJP65 »

Last night I was thinking about story ideas, and a problem came to me that I didn't know how to solve.  The new airport body scanners and latex clothing.  Is latex clothing transparent to the radiation used like other clothing, or is it opaque?

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

I would suspect transparent. Most clothing is only .2 or .3 mm thick.
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

EricJP65
Unfettered Newbie

I'd think so, however is polyisoterpene(the actual polymer that comprises latex) transparent to millimeter radiation like cotton and polyester.  Also most conventional fabrics are woven fibers, latex is a solid sheet.

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Franzia »

Latex is probably transparent to scanner radiation.     However, since the scanners work by penetrating clothing and reflecting off the flesh or upper layers of skin, is it just possible latex may act as a sort of second skin and slightly diffuse details of the image?

Jerry
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Jerry »

So, who is going to find out?
OMG Made it to the new Forum

TeaSer
Strict Strappado

Unread post by TeaSer »

Sorry folks - I don't think they use body scanners here (Denmark). Just checking for iron.I'd love to be stopped due to a latex undershirt! Almost as much as when my pants dropped once I was passing security - they had me remove the belt and it only took a _little_ push to have the pants drop to the floor - right at the scanner :)
You may call me an old, perverted sadist - but don't flatter

EricJP65
Unfettered Newbie

Well the obvious and most risky option is to go ahead, full latex catsuit and waltz through the scanner.  I think a better option for me would be to head down to the chemistry department with a scrap of fashion-grade latex and ask to borrow one of their spectrometers of the appropriate wavelength.

fetishkitsch
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by fetishkitsch »

I am not sure if it is translucent to the scanners or not, but I do know that they can tell if you are wearing it under your clothes. My girlfriend was wearing a garment under her clothes and was pulled aside once.

TeaSer
Strict Strappado

Unread post by TeaSer »

Nice, fet

eos40b
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by eos40b »

As a TSA officer here in the US then I can tell you that rubber or latex clothing is transparent to our scanners including the full body scanner but any zips or fasterners WILL set the alarm code off

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

I'm not sure what I am more impressed with. The fact that we got an official answer to the question or that enough latex goes through TSA scanners to know the answer!
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

BiteMe169
Chair Bound

Unread post by BiteMe169 »

So a man wearing a thong would not be noticed...? I ask because I plan on wearing one tomorrow for my flight and I'm not sure I want secruity knowing I'll have a thong on..

willjim
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by willjim »

I've worn a full latex suits through airport security many times without incident. My suit is top entry without zippers. One caution: Dildos and butt plugs show up on xray whether in your luggage or in your......

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

[quote="willjim"]One caution: Dildos and butt plugs show up on xray whether in your luggage or in your......[/quote]
     Sort of gives a new slant to "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU".

Regards, Michael.

LockedInALocker2011-12-05 18:12:22

Lucasight
Chair Bound

Unread post by Lucasight »

[quote="willjim"]I've worn a full latex suits through airport security many times without incident. My suit is top entry without zippers. One caution: Dildos and butt plugs show up on xray whether in your luggage or in your...... [/quote]That's when you say "Opt out.  OPT OUT!"  Remember, you always have that option.

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

[quote="Lucasight"]That's when you say "Opt out.  OPT OUT!"  Remember, you always have that option.[/quote]
     I've never travelled internationally, so maybe I'm missing something. But what is it that you can opt out of? Surely not security screening? If you say, "No, I don't want to do that", surely they don't just say, "Very well - as you please"?
     I would have thought that, when travelling, you should choose what to bring with you on the assumption that anything you have could be seen by someone.

Regards, Michael.

Lucasight
Chair Bound

Unread post by Lucasight »

Oh sorry I should have been more specific (I flew international just a month ago)  You can opt out of full-body scans and instead get a semi-invasive physical pat-down.  It's actually not a big deal and they're real professional about it, as they have to be really careful not to get accused of groping.Also not everyone gets sent to the body scanner (random).  Most people just get the metal detector as usual, which as someone stated, the zippers (and other "objects") still trip those and you'll have to be patted down or scanned unless you can remove the item and pass through the arch without tripping it.Lucasight2011-12-06 21:21:43

newbie91
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by newbie91 »

Airports seam different where you are, here in the UK its pretty much the full body scanner or nothing. There is no other way through the security.

TeaSer
Strict Strappado

Unread post by TeaSer »

[quote="LockedInALocker"][quote="willjim"]One caution: Dildos and butt plugs show up on xray whether in your luggage or in your......[/quote]     Sort of gives a new slant to "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU".[/quote]Or perhaps rather: Big brother is watching your luggage - and envy you going somewhere with _that_ stuff :)