Latex/rubber and skin reactions

Pass the talc powder please!
bondagebound
Unfettered Newbie

Latex/rubber and skin reactions

Unread post by bondagebound »

Hi there,

I wondering if people are either allergic to latex or not or is there a middle ground or different types of latex that cause issues? We've got a small collection between us but items from one source seem to react on my skin in the form of dryness and rashes if worn for any length of time. But I can happily wear other items for hours on end with no issues. Has anyone seen this before??

Rubbertje_83
Unfettered Newbie

Re: Latex/rubber and skin reactions

Unread post by Rubbertje_83 »

What i've heard is that cheaper latex has other additives that can cause more serious allergies then quality latex. And that some products (lube and powders) intend to also worsen the effects. I thought cornstarch was one of them. It had something to do with, both being natural products and skin-absorption.

But this is all something that i've read a long time ago...

EricJP65
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by EricJP65 »

There's a few different things that could be causing this. Lube/polish can cause allergic reactions, as well as cornstarch, which can also be a physical skin irritant along with talcum powder(both are fine powders rubbing against skin when worn.) The actual latex allergy is caused by the plant proteins from the Hevea brasiliensis plant that raw rubber comes from. Most manufacturers will process it to remove as much as the protein as possible, (This is done either for chemical purity, latex for safety/medical gloves, or high end fabric), Cheaper/less reputable latex sources save money by not removing as much, or even any at all. Ammonia is commonly used to keep the latex liquid for transport, that can cause allergies as well.

bondagebound
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by bondagebound »

The source of the items is china, but was told the factory also produces items for other more mainstream latex suppliers. Is there a diy way I can try to improve the situation? Washing with mild soap and water has helped a bit but not completely solved the issue...

d3vious_g3nius
Strict Strappado

Unread post by d3vious_g3nius »

bondagebound wrote:The source of the items is china, but was told the factory also produces items for other more mainstream latex suppliers. Is there a diy way I can try to improve the situation? Washing with mild soap and water has helped a bit but not completely solved the issue...
If the problem is due to the materials used for manufacture, no amount of washing will resolve the issue. You may have washed away other harmful topical substances thus seeing a somewhat better experience.

The only DIY option that may be viable would be chlorinating the items causing the bad reactions. I have seen it reported that some with latex allergies can wear latex that is chlorinated without problems. This is not a guarantee though.

Also, chlorinating latex is a bit tricky and can be deadly, exercise extreme caution. Safety and continued LIFE should be the highest priority if you chose to go this route to try and find a solution!!!

WHITE PAPER at Catalyst Latex on DIY Chlorination : http://catalystlatex.com/chlorination/diy-chlorination READ the WARNING!

Other than that, if you can, save up and buy higher quality latex from mainstream designers who don't have these issues.

All the best,
- d_g

MsBehavin
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by MsBehavin »

That's a really interesting link. Though I have to admit to a mischievous smile at the instructions given in the Health and Safety section...

Wearing chlorinated rubber garments
risk - slipping - beware - chlorinated rubber is very slippy
minimisation - awareness of risk. Wear a belt on your jeans over rubber garments!

Scenes of surreptitious kinkiness at the Monday morning managers meeting gone BAD! :oops:

:lol:

DocJRod
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by DocJRod »

Latex allergies do come in varying severity... I don't know that anyone actually addressed this part of your question. It's like any allergy, some people can have a mild irritation, and to some it can be life threatening.

As well as what's already been posted, it's possible the processing solutions are contributing to the rash/reaction. Fillers, adders, and surface preparations the manufacturer uses to make the product look the way it does sometimes cause this.

If it's a material issue, you can't practically fix it, but you might be able to mask it. If the items aren't going to see much use/abuse, you can use a layer of liquid latex on them, some that doesn't cause you reactions. If the items will see a moderate level of use/abuse, you can try and find a thin sheet of high quality rubber, and bond it to the surfaces of the item which are in contact (i.e. the inside of some cuffs). There are plenty of rubber bonding agents available, rubber manufacturers sometimes recommend some. Again, beware the cheap stuff, you might find it causes a worse reaction than the item did.

Again, give it some thought, these suggestions aren't practical for all items.

Good luck, and, I agree with a previous post, save cash for the good stuff if you can.

Just my 2 cents.
Happily married to the object of my perverse affections. I like doing the tying, she likes being tied, it's a win/win!

razer
Chair Bound

Unread post by razer »

After wearing my latex mask for 30 mins, my cheeks start to get sore. I dont know if its the moisture, or friction, but they will start to become red. Any ideas? If it matters I havent wore the mask often as I have just got it.