Is White Spirit okay to clean latex?

Pass the talc powder please!
Imhotep
Unfettered Newbie

Is White Spirit okay to clean latex?

Unread post by Imhotep »

I have to make a repair to a garment which has alot of left over lube/shiner on it.

Is it ok to clean the particular area with White Spirit(all I have at the moment) to prepare it for gluing? If not, what is the best thing to use?

d3vious_g3nius
Strict Strappado

Re: Is White Spirit okay to clean latex?

Unread post by d3vious_g3nius »

You should be fine, some information linked below.

Mineral spirit and Heptane
: http://makinglatexclothing.com/2009/01/mineral-spirit/

Good luck with the rubbery repair,
- d_g

Rubbertje_83
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Rubbertje_83 »

I don't know. Ever used white-spitit? it keeps smelling for hours on your hands and it feels kind of greasy. so this means it wil not dry instanly on your latex. and also it is used to dilute oil-based paints. so this means is it also is some kind of oil. Try putting a condom in it for 24h. ;)

d3vious_g3nius
Strict Strappado

Unread post by d3vious_g3nius »

Well since "white spirits" is what Imhotep has I guess it's a "try it and see" kinda situation. I went and looked further at FetLIfe in the Making Latex Clothing group and Heptane is the favorite but still others have said they have used mineral spirits successfully.

I have only made some small projects and used Bestine thinner so I am strictly passing on info from other people.

Good luck either way,
- d_g

Leopard99
Chair Bound

Unread post by Leopard99 »

Beware that "white spirit" may mean different things in different parts of the world. There are certainly different grades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit

Here in the UK it's nasty, slightly greasy feeling stuff as described by Rubbertje_83