Finding stories that you like

Like a story? Need help writing your own? Post your thoughts and ideas here.
subgrrl
Unfettered Newbie

Finding stories that you like

Unread post by subgrrl »

I'm interested in finding out how you all find stories that you like.

Sure. If you like BDSM stories then you can go to a variety of standard websites (e.g. Gromet's Plaza, UtopiaStories, BDSMLibrary, etc.). But do you read ALL the stories? Probably not. How do you find the ones that rock your world? I'm interested to know.

Thanks,
subGrrl

<>--+-
Key: A Novel
http://keysong.blogspot.com

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Re: Finding stories that you like

Unread post by Franzia »

If it's any help: since I'm only an occasional reader of two of the aforementioned sites, I have to rely on keywords or tags to zero in on my interests.

Of course, if I read more I could seek favorite writers, but you are correct- it's just not possible to read ALL the tales and their reviews- there must be thousands of them! :shock:

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by DarkLizerd »

Easy answer...
Lots of guessing or luck..
Both seem to work for me...
Or, write your own...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...

subgrrl
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by subgrrl »

I do write and contribute stories. Most of the stories are inspired by many of the stories that I have read on amateur sites (such as those mentioned above), so I have a long legacy of storywriter shoulders to stand upon. I am happy that there is such a flood of things to read from, but I find that I probably spend far too much time skimming, looking for jewels than actually enjoying the stories. I am certainly appreciative of the tags. I also try to narrow the stories down using search terms.

...but then you have sites like literotica where there are thousands and thousands of stories but there are no (or crappy) tags and the stories get sliced and diced into pieces. Sure, readers can specify "favorites", but blah... I'm sure there are great stories there. I have no idea how to find them.

Another thing, for erotica, what makes a story great is not totally dependent upon technical writing ability. One's favorite stories are more often more related to one's kinks. So, most popular may not be the right way to go for a particular individual.

--subGrrl

<>--+-
Key: A Novel
http://keysong.blogspot.com

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Franzia »

Yes, while technical ability may be a plus, I'm not looking for -or expect- Anne Rice or Pauline Réage. As long as the story contains one's individual kinks or combination of kinks, it's usually a worthwhile read and the writer could become a reader's favorite regardless of other opinions.

I suppose this can be a tricky bit for a writer though. General interest kinks may have a larger audience, but rare or more specialized kinks will have fewer but more loyal readers. The exception being very long stories or a series where there is room for a little of everything.

mrmaxroper
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by mrmaxroper »

At Gromet's site (and the few times I venture over to GaggedUtopia) I use the section and/or the story tags to sort out what I might like. I've learned which writers I enjoy and usually check out whatever they write. I gave up on Literotica for the reasons mentioned above. It's just too hard to find what's "good".

Usually after a paragraph or so I can decide if a particular story is going to cut it. Even if the writer seems to know and push all my buttons, poorly written and edited stories don't usually make it for me, while a well written tale will keep my interest even if it doesn't pertain to my favorite kinks.