editing a story

Like a story? Need help writing your own? Post your thoughts and ideas here.

editing a story

Unread postby lanad » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:08 am

OK
so I've written a new story and have prof read it a hundred times, I coped and posted into the forum, and now I have to prof read again as all the spacing has gone,

what am I doing wrong, I'm using word as my editor, should I be using a different program to wright my scribbling on.

I have made a draft so as to keep the story for editing again.
what am I doing wrong.
lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Re: editing a story

Unread postby Petrajane » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:57 pm

lanad wrote:OK
so I've written a new story and have prof read it a hundred times, I coped and posted into the forum, and now I have to prof read again as all the spacing has gone,

what am I doing wrong, I'm using word as my editor, should I be using a different program to wright my scribbling on.

I have made a draft so as to keep the story for editing again.
what am I doing wrong.

Word adds so much crap when pasted into a forum post.

I'd recommend using something like EditPad or if you prefer, NotePad (comes with Windows), NOT WordPad though.
Write it in basic mode, ie: no formatting, then add any formatting in the forum post.

That's how I do it anyway. :)
Petrajane
Strict Strappado

Unread postby lanad » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks for that,sounds like it's easier to escape from a pair of hand cuffs.
lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Unread postby stephanie_cd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:34 pm

lanad wrote:Thanks for that,sounds like it's easier to escape from a pair of hand cuffs.

1) If you have a Windows PC, go to "Start," "All Programs," "Accessories," and then select NotePad.

2) Copy/paste the story from Word into NotePad, and/or write any new stories in NotePad to start with.

NotePad will remove any of Words' special formatting (including italic or bold type, "tab" indents, and sometimes even "return" or "enter" paragraph breaks). Notepad will leave most "normal" punctuation marks such as ? and ! and " alone.

3) Copy/paste the story from NotePad into the forum window. Those steps are all easy and if the story is already written elsewhere it should take you less than a minute. :D

4) Once the story is in the forum window, you will probably need to go in and add paragraphs, indents, and italic text for dialogue, using the FORUM's text window and tools. Unless you've written a 200 page novel, that part isn't difficult and it shouldn't take much time at all.

5) Click the "Preview" button and keep editing until you're happy with the result, then click "Submit."

:D
stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

Unread postby FatherOfFour » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:49 am

I frequently use notepad++ (a freeware sw) to do multiple document editing, file compares, xml/html, or auto-complete and many other uses... it's a swiss-knife of text editing.

Have fun, text Your stories...
f4
FatherOfFour
Chair Bound

Unread postby lanad » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:30 pm

thanks for all your advice, I'll probably use note pad next time, as I have already loaded it to "draft" I'll finish it there.
xx
lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Return to Story Discussion