Story Advice Wanted

Like a story? Need help writing your own? Post your thoughts and ideas here.
gagged1
Unfettered Newbie

RE: Story Advice Wanted

Unread post by gagged1 »

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}I need some advice . Forgive this somewhat rambling post, but I am currently in bondage and alittle tired.When I was in school my English teacher set us to write anin-class story.  We had two periods on successivedays each lasting 45 minutes to complete it, and could choose our owntopic.  I was about 12 years old andalthough bondage excited me I hadn't yet fully awakened to its power, so I chooseto write a story about a group of people adrift in a lifeboat.  They had no means of communication and alimited supply of food and water.  But before writing this story I had to write a preamble to explainthe events leading up to the shipwreck, which I did, but this took the entirefirst period.  When the teacher read the storyhe said the first part was a sufficient story in itself and gave me full creditwithout even reading the second part, the main part of the story that I wantedto tell.A few days ago I started to write about a night-time bondagewalk of mine.  The bondage was complicatedand related to fantasy of mine, so I thought I had better describe my fantasyto explain the reason for the unusual way I had bound myself.  But in writing this fictional preamble to myreal story, I kept adding detail to my original fantasy and it grew until it becamea story in its own right.  A flashback tomy younger self.I don't normally like to write about my fantasies.  I once read a story of a self bondage walk inwhich the author described her fantasy for the walk.  It was not my fantasy, and for me spoiled an otherwisegood account of a self bondage adventure. So I decided that readers would not be interested in reading about my ownfantasies.  In Burka Bondage, for example,I do not describe my fantasy, I just allude to it.This fictional story that I have just written is not particularlyoriginal, few fantasies are.  I amcaptured, bound, and manage to escape. This sets the scene for the start of my real story; I am in bondage in themiddle of a forest and have to walk several miles to get free.Which brings me to my present dilemma; how to proceed.  I seem to have the following options1) Stick with my original plan.  Keep the fictional story as a lengthy chapter1.  As the beginning of chapter 2 say thatchapter 1 was fictional, and then describe the reality, including the smalldifferences between my actual bondage and that of fiction. Then describe my bondagewalk.  The potential problem is thatreaders might get turned off by the lack of originality in chapter 1 or, if not,might be upset by the surprise transition from fiction to reality.2) Trim the fictional story down to its barest essentials,then proceed as in option 1. This is probably a better option, but it is hardfor me to discard most of what I have written.3)  Post the fictionalstory as a stand-alone story, then post the bondage walk separately with a paragraphat the beginning explaining how it relates to the fictional story.4)  Completely ignoremy fantasy and simply describe the bondage at the beginning of my walk.5)  Leave the storyunfinished and not post it.  (This mighthappen anyway, my motivation to write comes in spurts and often does not lastlong.)Any suggestions?    

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by DarkLizerd »

#3...Sound like this is your best choice...Just think of it like mythology...Regardless of how fantastic and unbelievable a myth is...There was a true story behind them...A fictional start with a true ending is the best way to describe what you did, and why...After all... no story ever starts at the end and works it's way back to the beginning... but you could wind up writing this way because you need to explain how the story got to this point... In short, just write it... 
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...

ruru67
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by ruru67 »

<shrug> the answer rather depends on the stories. Given the mix of fact and fiction, separating parts 1 & 2 into separate stories, per (3), with a nod to the fantasy in the factual story. But if the fantasy and the fact are closely intertwined, stick with (1). I'm guessing that since you're even asking the question, the latter is probably not that good a mix.That said, I've tossed out  perfectly good scenes from stories because I couldn't get them to fit properly into the story being told.

MsBehavin
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by MsBehavin »

Option three works best for me too - as ruru says a paragraph explaining the relationship between the two would direct the reader to the other part.

Edit - Opps, was so busy reading your question and giving a reply I've only just realised this thread should have been in the story discussion section. Thread moved.MsBehavin2011-08-27 04:07:52

gagged1
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by gagged1 »

Thank you all for your advice.  I will proceed with option 3.

gagged1
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by gagged1 »

I have fleshed out my fantasy with a lot of extra detail and posted it in another thread under the title Prelude to Midnight.  Well that is what I wanted to do but there is a typo in the name of the thread, perhaps a moderator can fix it. I am not sure if the story has any merit; it might be, yawn, just another kidnapping story.  So feel free to make comments. 

Trystl
Unfettered Newbie

Re: RE: Story Advice Wanted

Unread post by Trystl »

gagged1 wrote:Any suggestions?    
I would suggest that you consider placing the "prolog" explanatory material in flashbacks. Walking through a forest has the potential for long periods when not all that much happens--and this would make an excellent time to shake things up with a remembered scene.

The point is, instead of explaining the (author's) fantasy... have the character explaining their own fantasy, or develop that theme in some other way that is an integral part of the story. That way, the material becomes character development and serves to enrich the story rather than being an intrusion by the author. It doesn't have to be the main characer's fantasy either. He could simply relate some event (or discussion) that happened in the past, where someone else described or talked about the material in question. And the main character could think something like, "Wish I had that fantasy, I'd be loving this right now."

There are many viable strategies, but that would be my recommendation.