RE: Boring stuff?

Like a story? Need help writing your own? Post your thoughts and ideas here.
captbb
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by captbb »

I have nothing against people who writes BDSM stories, I like to read them if well written. But many writers just like to create overlong heaps of every possible extreme torture (I don't want to write down names...). Some are able to create decent plots, but forget (or play down) the erotic component.A good erotic tale needs some kind of equilibrium, do you agree?
Last edited by captbb on 20 Feb 2016, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

caged
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by caged »

There are many themes to stories and why people write, Some write bondage scenes and dwell simply onthe creativeness of the bondage. SOme add extreeme painful play as part of their bondage stories. while others write erotic stories with a little bondage of kinky with it. Myself I would rather read a good plot of Damselin distress, maybe with a little erotic thrown in then just a story with a little kink and a lot of sex,  So we can see that writers normally write what fits thema dn after that any readers have a choice to read or not, no one is saying everyone has to read every story. Some enjoy a good mystery, others want just a jack and jill story. vampire bites girl girl becomes vampire. this could be writtern with the change over and the girl them being the master vamps slave, or it could take off on all of the girls slave victims after that. I know of probably five hundred stories from this basic theme some boring and I move on some great and I search for more writing bye that perosn 

captbb
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by captbb »

[quote="caged"] Myself I would rather read a good plot of Damselin distress, maybe with a little erotic thrown in then just a story with a little kink and a lot of sex,  [/quote]I agree here.[In my opinion] a good, not overlong creative bondage tale is better than a complicated sci-fi or fantastic plot  that draws away from the BDSM (or sexy) theme I was searching for when downloading a story.In Gaggedutopia Story Archive some stories who gets the higher votes are never ending accretions of tortures. Obviously I am not forced to read them, still I can't see the point.

MsBehavin
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by MsBehavin »

[quote="captbb"] I like to read them if well wrotten.
[/quote]

Yeah...... typos kill the mood for me too when reading erotica.

One man's "pointless" and "boring" is another man's (or woman's) pleasure. I wondered if either of YOU committed your own particular favourite 'plot styles' to words and made it available online for no reward other than the occasional positive comment?

I applaud anyone who has because they are braver than I (or you?).

If you don't like what's out there I suggest you write your own stories and post them here so we can all take a look at them.
MsBehavin2011-07-30 15:06:08

RGbargy
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by RGbargy »

As an author I welcome criticism if it is both specific and legitimate but, and I assume that this is normal, I get very few actual comments? If you are going to start a thread like this, be specific. If the writing is submitted it is there to be admired or shot at. At least if you are specific someone can answer, agree or reply...Tell me what you want. I am sure that someone else will then give me/you the complete opposite requirement. Something about "You can't please all the people all the time?"There is enough variety to please most tastes. Go to Gromet - look through the A-Zs, check the story codes. FInd the authors you lie kand read them - and tell them you like it. R G Bargy
Are you free to participate in bondage

captbb
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by captbb »

Normal 0 14 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Tabella normale"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}Oh my God. I knowevery kind of story can find its admirers or haters. I was trying to start adiscussion about what can make a good story; I'm not here for the flamewar. (I don't think I was giving this feeling but if you think I was, sorry).@RGbargy: Doyou want some examples? Ok, let's go:http://www.boundstories.net/bdstories_monica.htmlthis saga(I admit I stopped reading it long ago) started humorous and fun, thenescalated into a frenzy of torture, hate and revenge, as if every stint had tobe more extreme than the one before. I admired the author skill at first, but Iquickly became bored.http://www.utopiastories.com/code/show_ ... otherstory that I liked at start, then (IMHO and I repeat IMHO) lost focus andbecame just "more of the same" and a big collection of story codes.ANDhttp://www.selfbound.net/storiesad/double_jeopardy.htmlthis is astory with its share of extreme stuff but it's focused, with a "plot", a startand an ending, maybe long, but not too much. Very good (IMHO).@MsBehavin, sorry for the typo. English is not my mother tongue, I'm trying mybest. And yes, I wrote my own stories just for the fun of it, submitted them tothe public before Geocities went down some years ago, but these stories werewritten in another language"¦ anyway I took my ration of praise and criticism,and survived.I am interested in the english speaking forums because they are richer in materialand variety. If I get better at writing in english, I'll postsomething (someday).

VintageGordon
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by VintageGordon »

I've read alot of stories myself but I've never writen any I have tryed to write stories (not all of them have been erotic) the way I would write a story was I would start with a beginning then an end then I would work on major points during the story then I would add dialogue and round it all off.   The problem was it would either be shorter than I was expecting or the wrighting was weak or in one case my computer was too old for me to put it all together. I did once read a story that got me thinking who would be turned on by that, it was one of those pictures with a back story to it (I dont know what the technical name is) I found it on google and it was a picture of a pony girl with hoofs and a tail and a rubber suit but i couldnt read the writing so I clicked the full size image button so I could see it.   Soon after I wished I hadnt I've read permanant bondage storys in the past but that one was just gruesome and I mean "saw" gruesome there was a part where is said the character had her hands and feet ground off and replaced with steel hoofs I mean who finds that sexy. @captbb also I think your english sounds ok I've tryed learning other languages in the past and english is still the only language I can speak, so I know how difficult it is so well done .   I cant even speak my native language.

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by DarkLizerd »

I've done a story based just on a picture...It turned out longer than I expected...It' a drag...(I think it was on this site..)Typo are nothing to get upset over, they happen...In postings that can be points of humor, but for a story, it can, and usually is, a killer. It is like trying to translate the story... 
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...

ruru67
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by ruru67 »

Myself, I tend to have a scenario in mind and then write a story around it, kinda working from the middle of the story outwards -- at least that's where my thought processes go while putting the story together in my head. For a short story, I'll get the whole thing in my mind before I start writing, and then just write it from top to bottom.That doesn't mean I won't come back and revise it; sometimes I have better ideas, or difficulty making it work, and end up throwing away a big chunks of the original idea. Or as I write it just ends up going somewhere else. Once I started writing one story, but needed set-up, and the set-up became pretty much a stand-alone story in its own right. The original idea became part 2, which got written some considerable time later.Long stories are harder. I tend to find long stories happen when one goes, "so then what happened?" My longest story, about 46,000 words, has a basic scenario of, "bondagette accidentally traps self, stays for holiday". About two thirds of the story ran with that theme; having given myself a two-week timeframe (within the story), I found myself struggling to fill it. Then the, "and then what" kicked in, leading to a whole separate act, and a conclusion. And still I had comments along the lines of, "didn't that end a bit suddenly?" And despite the days of writing put into it, I don't think it was my best work. Bondage fiction tends to be episodic; long stories just have more episodes than short ones. Otherwise it becomes a novel with bondage elements -- something that's, frankly, harder to write, and loses much of its erotic nature.And sometimes stories are just not what you want -- I've pretty much given up on the Stories group on FetLife, for example, because so few of the stories posted actually tickle my kinks (whereas a majority posted here do). I think the standard on this forum somewhat higher too.Finally, don't forget that free fiction is provided because people like doing it, and they deserve encouragement and constructive criticism. If you think you can do better, try your hand at writing; you'll probably learn a lot in the process.Oh, and try not to state the bondagette's boob size in the second paragraph.

Lobo
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Lobo »

It's been quite a while since I last posted here, but I wanted to get my thoughts on this subject into the record. There are, I agree, some very boring stories out there, and for all I know, some of mine may fall into that category. Thing is, boring, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. There are as many responses to any story, good, bad, or indifferent, as there are people reading that story. But I would ask you to remember one thing. With all the stories out there, and more being added all the time, it gets very hard to come up with something that hasn't been done many times already. Turning an original idea into a cohesive story can be even harder. A couple of my stories have taken a year or more to find their final form. So, whatever you may think of the story, please try to appreciate the time and effort that went into creating it.Lobo2011-08-02 02:10:01

syryn
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by syryn »

I've always thought that stories should have two ratings. 1) How much did the content appeal to the reader, and 2) how good was the story in a technical sense.

I've read stories that were fantastically awful (poor grammar, structure, etc), but the concepts were incredibly arousing. Is that a 5 star effort?

captbb
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by captbb »

[quote="Lobo"]........ But I would ask you to remember one thing. With all the stories out there, and more being added all the time, it gets very hard to come up with something that hasn't been done many times already. Turning an original idea into a cohesive story can be even harder. A couple of my stories have taken a year or more to find their final form. So, whatever you may think of the story, please try to appreciate the time and effort that went into creating it.[/quote]I agree, not so easy to write something new. For sure I appreciate time and effort spent in the creative process (my writing took a lot of time as well).As for story length: often I don't have the will and the time to read a BDSM story long as a novel. Probably I'd appreciate more a collection of shorter tales with similar themes and characters, because it's more probable I'll find there a prevalent BDSM atmosphere.Why I say this?I remember just four erotic books with a BDSM theme I did read: The Story of O, Return to Roissy and a couple of John Norman Gor books. I enjoyed all of them but, as it seems inevitable, there are conventional themes in these books (love, passion, adventure, fantasy) stronger than the BDSM theme and occuping more space.So, if a writer wants to write a good BDSM story he needs to find some original, creative idea about the fetish part and/or the characters involved, and blend it in a plot that gives shape to the whole thing, to keep it reasonably short (IMHO) and to go right on target; if he wants to write a novel-length story, first thing he needs is to be... able to write a novel: difficult as it could be to be original in the BDSM theme, the skill to do that is not to take for granted.

captbb
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by captbb »

[quote="syryn"]I've always thought that stories should have two ratings. 1) How much did the content appeal to the reader, and 2) how good was the story in a technical sense.I've read stories that were fantastically awful (poor grammar, structure, etc), but the concepts were incredibly arousing. Is that a 5 star effort?[/quote]I think that if the writer is at least able to pass his ideas to the reader, his story can be good; but the form (and even the formatting) still plays a role.

Darkraptor1
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Darkraptor1 »

[quote="syryn"]I've always thought that stories should have two ratings. 1) How much did the content appeal to the reader, and 2) how good was the story in a technical sense.I've read stories that were fantastically awful (poor grammar, structure, etc), but the concepts were incredibly arousing. Is that a 5 star effort?[/quote]I think this really sums everything regarding stories...I've read stories (both fetish and non-fetish) that were poorly written, but the story, emotions, and characters were fantastically compelling, and I couldn't stop reading.  And and on the other hand, there are some stories that have the best writing styles, the best grammar, pacing, structure, etc. that were very boring and not at all enjoyable to read.As a writer, I write stories about subjects and topics that I enjoy, and in that aspect, I'm mainly writing what I like, and hoping that there are readers out there who enjoy what I enjoy as well.  If you like zombies, then you'll be able to get a lot of enjoyment out of zombie movies/games/books of varying quality.  Granted, something can be really awful, but if you enjoy the subject matter, you're more likely to at least take a look.

boundBinder
Strict Strappado

Unread post by boundBinder »

[quote="MsBehavin"][quote="captbb"] I like to read them if well wrotten.[/quote]Yeah...... typos kill the mood for me too when reading erotica.[/quote]As something of a grammar and spelling Nazi(albeit far from perfect one), I agree wholeheartedly, here.

Avtomat
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Avtomat »

[quote="captbb"] I have nothing against people who writes BDSM stories, I like to read them if well wrotten. But many writers just like to create overlong heaps of every possible extreme torture (I don't want to write down names...). Some are able to create decent plots, but forget (or play down) the erotic component.A good erotic tale needs some kind of equilibrium, do you agree?
[/quote]

I think that's why they are story codes, and Gagged Utopia's fantastic search system helps you narrow down stories with what you want...

I am from Malaysia, and I love durians... words cannot describe how much I love them.... but the same durian would smell like a rat drown to death in a drain, and had been rotting for a few days, while tasting it would be like eating a rotten piece of cake soaked in the sewer for 2 days.

Maybe its all down to personal preference. For example to me the most "balanced" and well written snuff story or torture session would turn me off... because I enjoy self-bondage, preferably in public areas...   

RGbargy
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by RGbargy »

[quote="VintageGordon" I did once read a story that got me thinking who would be turned on by that, it was one of those pictures with a back story to it (I dont know what the technical name is) I found it on google and it was a picture of a pony girl with hoofs and a tail and a rubber suit but i couldnt read the writing so I clicked the full size image button so I could see it.   Soon after I wished I hadnt I've read permanant bondage storys in the past but that one was just gruesome and I mean "saw" gruesome there was a part where is said the character had her hands and feet ground off and replaced with steel hoofs I mean who finds that sexy.  [/quote] Although story codes help you can still get unpleasant surprises. BDSM is a very broad subject even if it is percieved as a small niche. Some people like violence, some like sex, some like inginuity. There is also the thought that "nothing is new". I have read some stories that made me feel sick (Come to think of it has anyone seen the latest Torchwood?). On the other side of the coin, "Boring" stems from repetition. Which do you prefer - the same od "tie up and fuck" or something with flare and novelty, even if it is a little sick? R G Bargy
Are you free to participate in bondage