Pasting & formatting

Like a story? Need help writing your own? Post your thoughts and ideas here.
Sablesword
Unfettered Newbie

RE: Pasting & formatting

Unread post by Sablesword »

I have my stories already marked up with BB codes for formatting - italics, bold, centered, etc. - and I also already have blank lines between each paragraph. Is there any way to copy & paste my text exactly as written into the editing box without the forum software trying to make "helpful" changes to it? Maybe some sort of "paste as plain text" button that could be added?(And if buttons are being added, maybe a button to toggle between "show bb codes" and "show actual formatting") Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by pleasewrap »

Have you tried pasting and using the "preview post" button?  I've usually gone straight from Word without a problem, myself.

Sablesword
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Sablesword »

Yes I have. "Preview post" only shows how the "helpful" forum features will mess up my post. After I write a story in Word, I run certain macros that automagically mark up the italics and other fomatting with the appropriate BB codes. On the other BB fora I'm on, I can then copy and paste the marked-up text directly from the Word file into the "new post" box, and all my nice BB formatting will be preserved exactly how I set it and want it. Here, it gets mangled by the forum software trying to be "helpful" and I have to go through and manually correct all the "helpful" changes that got made. Or, if I try to copy and paste from the Word file without first applying the macros for BB codes, I still have to manually go through and fix things because the "helpful" forum software still doesn't get it right.

pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by pleasewrap »

Do you have the "Enable BBcodes to format post" checkbox selected?You're the first to ask, so this isn't something we've dealt with before.  E-mailing GU might get you a better answer.  You might also see if the BBcodes you're using match up to the forum software.

Darkraptor1
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Darkraptor1 »

Try copying your story in Word, then transferring it to Microsoft Text.  Then, from there, copy it again, paste into the forum, and try previewing it then.  I use this method for all my stories, and it's worked every time.  Don't know how, but eh, I don't question it.Darkraptor12011-04-08 07:39:29