Fan fiction

Like a story? Need help writing your own? Post your thoughts and ideas here.
thtiger
Unfettered Newbie

RE: Fan fiction

Unread post by thtiger »

I was wondering what the feeling on fan fiction was. Using characters from popular culture in a story. I've been a big fan of Anime for a while, and have done some stories, and had other's commissioned, that involved a character, or characters, being bagged or packaged. With a fair bit of sex included in the situation.  They also tend to feature forced sex fantasy, but with tongue firmly in cheek. All involved have a wonderful time.  

pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by pleasewrap »

Just be careful to avoid trademarks when writing or posting this type of fiction.  Copyright is a legitimate source for other works and isn't generally a problem.  But if the character, character name, setting, etc. are covered by a trademark then you're in an area of law where the trademark owner is required to defend their trademark and to do so vigorously.I know this sounds stupid, but a particular medical device manufacturer went on a jihad a number of years ago to have their trademark removed from all erotic fiction they could find because they had some lawyer decide that if they didn't, they could lose their trademark protection.  That included this site and Gromet's Plaza.But I bet the stories would be well received.

thtiger
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by thtiger »

Thank's for the heads up. That's likely why no one did any fiction here featuring super heroines from the main stream comics. All their names are copyrighted.  All my focus has been on Anime fanfiction with the majority by a large mark on the series Ranma 1/2  Do you think people would be interested in seeing snippets, scenes where a girl got bagged, and maybe screwed, to be crude, while packaged, without it being an entire story.  Those would be fairly easy to produce.  Mind you, as my focus has been on cartoon characters and not real life the bondage might be a bit extreme, especially if it were something the girl had to endure for more than a few minutes.

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

Unread post by stephanie_cd »

Having never really read much fan fiction in the past, nor having spent much time really thinking about nor researching the legalities thereof, I've got to say that the Wikipedia entry makes the whole topic look like a can of worms! Legal issues with fan fiction Obviously, Wikipedia is NOT a substitute for a lawyer, but it's certainly eye opening. Here's a partial list of authors who don't want their intellectual property infringed, with more specific examples listed afterward detailing what some individual authors consider fair game or completely off-limits. (Note: no sexy Harry Potter fan fiction, or Ms. Rowling's lawyers will be getting involved.)My first reaction is that if you'd already written said BDSM fan fic pieces, we might want to run it by GaggedUtopia, the site admin first. If you haven't "produced" such snippets as of yet, though, my thought is that it might become more trouble than it's worth?Just my two cents' worth....

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

Of course, as soon as I hit "Post Reply" two other thoughts occurred to me: While I can see the attraction of fan fiction when it's written for a particular audience, such as fans of a TV series or something, it seems as though the work is also going to drive away non-fans. "I hate that stupid show, so why do I want to read something by someone else using the same characters?" It's sort of a double-edged sword, that suggests to me that if someone wants to write BDSM fiction for a wider audience, that they'd be better off just creating some original characters and going to town. Along a more Bound Forum-centric path, it seems to me based on individual threads I've seen here that there's more fans of live-action bondage films than anime. "Who's your favorite BDSM actress?" comes up quite often and gets a lot of responses, whereas anime threads come up less often. To me, that suggests that there's more general BDSM fans here than anime fans, so a particular anime-based fan fiction would be targeting a much smaller potential audience. Okay -- that's four cent's worth now....  

pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by pleasewrap »

[quote="thtiger"]Thank's for the heads up. That's likely why no one did any fiction here featuring super heroines from the main stream comics. All their names are copyrighted.[/quote]Not copyright.  Trademark.  Everything that's every written is technically copyrighted.  Copyright protects your work from some inappropriate use (like plagiarism) but not all (parody/derivative works).  If the name has been trademarked, it's a whole different ball of wax with more protections and a raft of requirements to defend it.  That's why you buy a box of "facial tissues" instead of Kleenex.And if you post small snippets, expect one consistent response:  "Is there more?"

cagedsgt
Strict Strappado

Unread post by cagedsgt »

Actually there are sites for some very good super heroine type fiction. Super heroines central and the wizards lair come t mind easily. Fan fiction can be tricky, I have seen straight up the hero or heroine taken with the acknowledgement that dc or marvel owns the rights adn such. Or make up a close but fake name. Instead of wonder woman maybe wonderous ladystupor or slut girl instead of super girl. and maybe we can even have a rat girl instead of bat girl.  

thtiger
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by thtiger »

I'm aware that some western authors are death on any fanfiction.The Japanese don't seem so fussy. They even have big conventions devoted to people selling Fan-fiction versions of popular Manga. In the case of the scenes I'm thinking of I don't think not being familiar with the characters would really matter in the least. Would be no worse than if I'd simply invented characters and names out of the blue. Not like they are very 'in character' doing stuff like that. I'm aware of the various Super Heroine Sites. Mr X is one of the best, IMO, but not nearly enough well packaged ladies in those stories.
Though Mr X does have several comics where his female characters get wrapped or otherwise packaged. One that springs to mind features a Giant Venus Flytrap, that has an effect very much like that Vacum bed toy. That featues one of his charactere. Eisha the Thief.
They are free and available on his site.

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

[quote="thtiger"]I'm aware that some western authors are death on any fanfiction.The Japanese don't seem so fussy. They even have big conventions devoted to people selling Fan-fiction versions of popular Manga.[/quote]That surprised me too, as someone who's not into fan fiction at all. I'm guessing it's a perception thing -- American and British authors sometimes see it as "theft of intellectual property" whereas the Japanese authors see it as "free publicity?" [quote="thtiger"]In the case of the scenes I'm thinking of I don't think not being familiar with the characters would really matter in the least. Would be no worse than if I'd simply invented characters and names out of the blue. Not like they are very 'in character' doing stuff like that.[/quote]That's kind of where I was going with that -- if you use other people's characters, you run somewhat of a risk of turning away people who are aware of your fan-fic world, but aren't fans, and open yourself (and any websites) to potential legal issues. But, you do potentially gain some fans of that particular fan-fic world.On the other hand, if you just make up names, you get none of the pitfalls; you're simply another author who can do whatever he pleases with his characters and universe.  If you were going to write these to post on a genre-specific fan-fic site, the first might be the way to go. I'm thinking that if you're planning to post them anywhere else, or a site that does not have a ton of anime fans (as I suspect this one doesn't) then the second route might make more sense!