Writing Guide

Like a story? Need help writing your own? Post your thoughts and ideas here.
Piper
Strict Strappado

RE: Writing Guide

Unread post by Piper »

I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to writing.  I think I have a decent grasp of basic spelling and grammar, but I was interested in finding more in depth info on writing in general.  I found a pretty interesting guide online, and it's specific to erotica.  I thought I would share it in case others would be interested.  It's a .pdf about 1.7 MB in size, FYI. http://www.ruthiesclub.com/pdf/How_to_Rite_Good.pdf

phoebe
Forever Mummified

Unread post by phoebe »

You know, Piper I'm probably the last writer who should be telling you to not look to a writing guideline, but I wouldn't reccomend doing so. I read the entire writing guide you linked and yes all the basics are covered... for Ruthies Club!Check out their sample stories and try to find a unique voice among them. They all may as well be written by the same hand. Now I'm not disparaging the stories - at least I hope this doesn't come across that way - only that they have a uniform sameness about them. This is where I fault their guide, or rather the dependence upon it. Piper, and anyone else who wants to write, just dive in! The more you write... well you know how it goes. <grin>phoebe

abrank
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by abrank »

I agree with Phoebe.  I have read lots of guides and they all stress the importance of actual writing.  You only improve with practice, as with sketching, skiing and skydivng. Criticism and feedback are desirable.  But it is so very difficult to get others to give good criticism that you have to be very critical of your own work and always strive to improve.  

Darkraptor1
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Darkraptor1 »

Here are the main tips I recommend for those who want to write: 1.  Write!  Practice is the ONLY way you will continuously improve your ability to tell stories. 2.  Look at other stories for ideas on your writting style.  Some may be very dialogue heavy while others describe situations very well (my personal style).  I've gotten ideas and styles by looking at other's stories, both on this site, and in actual published books. 3.  Start a new paragraph every time another charachter speaks, or when something big happens.  I diddn't know about this one until I took a writting class in college.  Take a look at any published novel, and you'll see this at work.   4.  Please, don't write in gigantic blocks of text.  Those are very tedious to read.  Try lots of smaller paragraphs.  Your readers will thank you. This one is my latest: 5.  If a story isn't flowing and you just can't get it after a long time, drop it.  This could be called "If it doesn't flow, let it go."  Most of the stories that i've published just seemed to flow onto the paper as I was writting them.  There are other stories though, that just don't flow and are tedious to write.  These haven't seen the light of day on this site, but they are there.

Piper
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Piper »

I don't think I explained myself correctly.  It should have read more like this:  If you're freakishly anal retentive like me and want to make sureyou don't put a comma in the wrong place, take a look at this writingguide.I was more interested in finding technical info.  The one I foundisn't quite the MLA Handbook, but it's a lot more interesting toread.  I don't have much of a problem getting words down on paper,but after I get a rough draft done I go back and edit it.  Istarted looking for the info because I was writing a lot of dialogueand I wanted to make sure I was laying things out correctly.You may say, "Don't worry about the little things!", but we've all gotour personal hang ups, and mild obsessive-compulsive disorder ismine.  I've scribbled down phone messages for people and thenre-written them because I didn't think they were neat enough.  IfI find a spelling mistake in something I've printed, I have to fix itand print it again, much to the chagrin of treeseverywhere.   Like my kink, it's just the way I'm wired.Occasionally when I see a really fantastic movie, I completely forgetI'm in a theater.  I get sucked into the story, and when it'sover, surprise!  Back to the real world.  With not so greatmovies the connection isn't there.  I notice my foot is stickingto the floor. I think about getting some popcorn. I look at the cutechick down the aisle. With reading it's the same way.  Great stories executed well drawme in and I get lost in the words.  Other stories not done so wellare really hard to get into.  Like the gigantic blocks of textDarkraptor mentioned.  Most of the time the lack of white spacebothers me so much I can't read it.  It's like trying to watch aterrific movie that was shot out of focus.  Maybe it's a greatstory, but some problems are a little too glaring to overlook.So maybe the stories I write will suck, but at least I can take thetime to try and make sure the technical side of things is done to thebest of my abilities.

Melody
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Melody »

A little off topic: Um..all we need is a Prue or Paige and we'll have the charmed ones;) Just kidding guys! Return to your regularly schedualed programing!

abrank
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by abrank »

Piper I too worry about the details.  You might want to read the thread "Help with Typos" posted in the "Author's Corner" Forum.  I still haven't received a satisfactory reply, although I am grateful to Phoebe for pointing out a few typos.

phoebe
Forever Mummified

Unread post by phoebe »

[quote="Melody"]A little off topic: Um..all we need is a Prue or Paige and we'll have the charmed ones;) Just kidding guys! Return to your regularly schedualed programing![/quote]Mmm, Shannen Doherty! Yes we need a Prue!Abrank, I only wish time allowed me to do more...phoebe