A short story . . . fantasy . . . predicament.

Post your story here to be critiqued and praised.
Jen DeFleur
Unfettered Newbie

A short story . . . fantasy . . . predicament.

Unread post by Jen DeFleur »

It’s a beautiful evening by the river.

I walked here through the woods as the shadows grew long and found our favourite bench to sit and watch the sunset thinking of her.

A little way upstream there’s a footbridge with a nice little pub on the other side. I wonder if she’s in there thinking of me.

She said she would come and meet me . . . but will she.

She said that she wouldn’t come until I lit a sky lantern and let it fly off into the night.

It seems so silly and romantic; I’m excited and a little nervous. . . there’s only one way that I’ll find out.

And now I wait. . . watching the lantern glide off into the sky.

And now I’m more nervous than before. No. . . not nervous. . . excited . . . and scared.

It’s getting darker and I can hear the flowing of the river in front of me but I can’t see it.

In this darkness all I can see is the silhouettes of the trees and the slight shape of the path leading away . . . or towards me.

I’m actually quite scared but she told me to wait right here.

Will I see her when she comes . . . if she comes.

Please let her come. I did what I was told. I’m wearing what she wanted.

What’s that sound behind me? Is someone there? . . .

Is that someone on the path? . . . no just my imagination.

My pulse is racing and I’m pleading that she comes because the sky lantern carried away my key and its twin belongs to her and her alone.

Please, please come. I’m trapped and lost without you.

I can’t go anywhere without you. My skirt is too tight and these heels are too high to walk anywhere in this darkness with my hands cuffed behind me.

Please. . .