What size am i?

Because boys will be girls will be boys.
boundecstasy
Tightly Hogtied

RE: What size am i?

Unread post by boundecstasy »

I know i fit a UK size 14 Corset. But what UK size am i, with regards to a skirt? I have a 30" waist (as thats what my jeans are)  Help, i've never bought ladies clothing (other than my boots) for myself before!

Fogane
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Fogane »

A quick Google search finds lots of size charts, most of them different. How there isn't a standard chart I don't know.
From my experience I would say a size 12 to 14 would fit you. I find size 14 fits me well with my corseted waist at 29 to 30 inches. Mind you, also from my experience, one skirt that claims to be a size 14 will be a different size to another one that claims to be a 14!
It's almost +/- 2 inches. Pot luck unless you can try before buy.Fogane2008-02-04 12:06:35

boundecstasy
Tightly Hogtied

Well thats the corset i "fit in"   Mens clothes is easy, we use actual measurements in cm's and inches.Why do womens cloths have to have a differen scale of sizes... and that varies from USA/UK and europe....  boundecstasy2008-02-03 17:29:36

Steph
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Steph »

You look about the same as me. I also have a 30" waist but take 32" jeans with a belt as I don't like mens clothes tight I only ever buy size 10 UK womens stuff, and always fits pefrect. I tried 8 a couple of times......too small. I found a nice dress in a 12 once (couldn't find it in a 10)....and it was too big.Definatly go for 10, you could probably do a 10 corset too, but they are very handy as they can be tightened to fit a few different sizes.Steph2008-02-03 22:29:13

steellover
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by steellover »

[ Mens clothes is easy, we use actual measurements in cm's and inches.Why do womens cloths have to have a differen scale of sizes... and that varies from USA/UK and europe.... [/quote]  Just a bit of trivia that might help explain why mens sizes are (usually) more consistent than womens,at least in the US. I read somewhere that, prior to the American Civil War, mens clothing was sized differently  from one manufacturer to another. When the war started the demand for uniforms was too great for any one manufacturer to meet. A standardized set of sizes was established so numerous manufacturers could meet the demand and the sizes continued to be used after the war.

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

Unread post by stephanie_cd »

Here's more of the same problem:  "Vanity sizing, also known as size inflation is used to refer to the phenomenon of ready-to-wear clothing of the same nominal size becoming larger over time. Vanity sizing tends to occur in places where clothing sizes are not standardized, such as the United States.... It is generally acknowledged that clothing of the same nominal size has become larger over the years."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing When I go shopping in a store these days, I've almost always got a tape measure in my pocket and a "it's for my girlfriend" excuse ready to blurt out innocently. Over the holidays, I had SEVERAL women say "what a great idea! I wish my boyfriend/husband would do that instead of just guessing!"  stephanie_cd

Subspace
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Subspace »

Hi my measurements are hips 37,waist 31, chest 36  and I find that size 10 skirts fit well, although I do have a couple in size 12 that are also a good fit. If it is a dress or leotard then I buy size 12 because size 10 is too small around the chest.What I find helps is to buy stuff that has a bit of elastane in it because there is more chance of getting a nice tight fit all over and they will accomodate a broader range of sizes and body shapes,for example I have a pencil skirt in size 10 that fits nicely and is 5% elastane,When I measure it the hips are 37 the same as me, but the waist is only 29, so it has stretched by 2" to fit me and it does so very nicely. The problem with being a cross dresser is that I haven't got the lovely hour glass figure that I so desire and which women have as standard (I'm so jealous !).This means if I look at size charts I have a size 10 bum,a size 14 waist and a size 12 chest hence why I buy stretchy clothes.Another problem is that most girls who are a size 12 are a lot shorter than me so a lot of clothes are too short in the body and sleeves. This seems to be the average of the size charts that I've found size 10.........hips 36.5.......waist 26........chest34.5size 12.........hips 38..........waist 28........chest36size 14.........hips 40..........waist 30........chest37.5 I've got a sneaky feeling that some manufacturers will label an item which is actually a size 14 as a 12 so that the women that buy them will be pleased they are still a size 12 LOL and buy from them again.Maybe I'm just a bit synical. Talking of synical I have a friend who is probably a size 18 and she told us she was a size 14 because the bikini she had on was a size 14,but it was the type that his strings that you tie at the sides so it would fit all different sizes, I was smart enough to keep my trap shut and say nothing  well I've rabbited on for long enough thats what a few bottles of beer does to me LOL Subspace 

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

[quote="Subspace"]The problem with being a cross dresser is that I haven't got the lovely hour glass figure that I so desire and which women have as standard (I'm so jealous !).This means if I look at size charts I have a size 10 bum,a size 14 waist and a size 12 chest hence why I buy stretchy clothes.Another problem is that most girls who are a size 12 are a lot shorter than me so a lot of clothes are too short in the body and sleeves.[/quote]  Well, that pretty much summed it up for most of us, though our measurements may vary!  Here in the US, clothes for younger women are marketed in the "junior's" department and are cut for 20 year olds who might not have the same full hips as older women. A "junior's" skirt might have a 30" waist and 36" hips, where a "misses'" skirt might have a 30" waist and 40" hips. And of course, that's why I tend to buy a lot of "separates" like blouses and skirts instead of dresses -- that way I only have to match a couple measurements at a time.  And of course, there's the occasional "tall sizes" you can find -- I see a lot of them in my online shopping -- so sleeves and bodies of blouses are two three inches longer, as well as skirts.  [quote="Subspace"] I've got a sneaky feeling that some manufacturers will label an item which is actually a size 14 as a 12 so that the women that buy them will be pleased they are still a size 12 LOL and buy from them again.Maybe I'm just a bit synical.[/quote] You're not being cynical at all -- that's the point of that "vanity sizing" I mentioned above. I have a few vintage leather skirts and coats from the 1980's that are US size 14's and 16's -- today they'd fit a "modern" US size 6 to an 8. As people have gotten bigger worldwide, they had to either start making size "X's" a little larger or start using bigger numbers -- and there's FAR too many women who like being able to brag that they're a nice, small, lower numbered size.   s

Subspace
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Subspace »

Hi Stephanie Good info I hadn't realised that clothing for younger women was more likely to be nearer our body shape One good thing about our body shape is that we rarely have to worry if our bums looks big in that new dress  An ex asked me if a skirt was making her Bum look big,I said no it was all the cakes and chocolate that was doing it LOL .I didn't really i'm not that brave.

boundecstasy
Tightly Hogtied

Well its pay day soon, i've boought some sexy shoes, gonna by a silk dress i think... i'm gonna try a size 10... if its too small then i'll just have to ebay it  I cant offer it to my sisters as that would raise suspicions..... as my other half is a size 16 boundecstasy2008-02-17 15:48:20

boundecstasy
Tightly Hogtied

Mmmm... silk...   what do you guys.. sorry ladies... What do you do with your silk garments.. i'm aware there is some machine washable silks out there but most items i've seen are dry clean only. I want the smooth feeling of silk... but i aint going to a dry cleaners and asking them to dry clean my silk dress... lol.

Steph
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Steph »

I get satin. I find it actually feels nicer and is machine or hand washable 

stephanie_cd
Forever Mummified

[quote="boundecstasy"]Mmmm... silk...   what do you guys.. sorry ladies... What do you do with your silk garments.. i'm aware there is some machine washable silks out there but most items i've seen are dry clean only.[/quote]  I listened to a friend, and found I could hand wash a couple of silk blouses, as well as machine wash them. Unfortunately, machine washing removed one's rather glossy finish, so it now has that "sandblasted silk" look, but it still feels great!   [quote="boundecstasy"]I want the smooth feeling of silk... but i aint going to a dry cleaners and asking them to dry clean my silk dress... lol.[/quote]  Well, that's easy! "It's my girlfriend's dress," I tell the drycleaner whose shop I drove an extra five miles to, and that I don't normally use.  s

Steph
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Steph »

To be honest, as paranoid as we are, they probably don't even care. They probably get the "it's my girlfriend's" excuse all the time. They'll know it's not always true......but how do they tell when?But we are a paranoid kind aren't we....it's almost like we know so many people see what we do as strange, so it makes going anywhere near the subject in the big open world impossible!