One ID and One ID Only, Please

Latest information for Gromet's Plaza, GaggedUtopia's Archive. Off-Topic discussion, suggestions and comments are always welcome.
ChrisUK
Chair Bound

RE: One ID and One ID Only, Please

Unread post by ChrisUK »

I am as guilty as charged, as i said in my hello e-mail.  If there was a way of recovering the password/username i would have done it without a second thought. If i can find the original story on here i will know my other username and then could it be deleted? EDIT: found my original story on another group, it was called 'Julie's Surprise' i wrote it under the nickname of Kermit and posted it in approximately 2003   ChrisUK2008-02-23 11:09:21

kittin
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by kittin »

[quote="restricted"]Then again, for ID's what if there are more than one person using the same computer?[/quote]  That's not my situation right now [I use a coffeehouse compooter when I get into town, which isn't all that frequent] but once my BF gets back from Afghanistan, I expect we'll be using the same computer...when I can use anything at all.  He's gotten a couple of chuckles out of some of the posts here, but is understandably a little nervous about coming in here via the military computers available to him. Eleven more months to go....

sexygamedesigns
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by sexygamedesigns »

I'm always me.R

Dave2112
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Dave2112 »

I'm always me, too. Except when I'm not....then I'm someone else....I think....well, maybe...  ...who the hell left my shoes here?  SGD, nice to see you here! Thought I recognized a familar face, err...name.Dave21122009-03-02 12:39:25

Bondagechick
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Bondagechick »

Just curios, how are you determining people have multiple ID's?  Are you going by IP address?  I mean many universities show the same outgoing ip for tons of computer.  But yea, i agree, I don't see the need fo multible id's from the same person.  It is kind of lieing, and i dont htink lieing is good for a forum like this.

pleasewrap
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by pleasewrap »

We aren't scouring posts looking for multiple IDs.  In the past, we've had people create multiple IDs and then start conversations with themselves to get other people involved in things.  Trolling like that gets our attention.  And once that starts happening, we start poking around...

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

There are ways of telling if it is the same computer beyond just the IP address.  Just as pleasewrap indicated, we don't go looking for these things but where there is smoke there is usually fire.  This thread was started because we were having a number of problems with people but it has been pretty clean for a while.
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

sexygamedesigns
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by sexygamedesigns »

I can't see why anyone would want more than one ID. I have used a different alias before in other forums but I've always just stuck with it. My wife doesn't have an ID here. I WISH!!!!R

tiemeupalso
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by tiemeupalso »

with 2 IDs you could go to chat and talk to yourself

Sean Malone
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by Sean Malone »

I have noticed that an awful lot of the people in the Forum have a female login name but are actually male. I don't have a problem with that, but it does rather counter the argument that a person might need different IDs when playing different roles.

There are also a very large number of members, perhaps even a majority, who don't say what gender they are, and that also undermines the argument that a person might need more than one ID.

If I was talking to someone about self bondage, for instance, I would need to know their gender because it does not work the same for both genders. It is not just about the bondage, it is about the person inside the bondage, their inner feelings and desires, as well as the actual mechanics of it being very different. Anyone who is not prepared to reveal their gender might miss out on a whole lot of very good stuff.

I know, I'm a newbie, and I've not had time to read back through all the excellent stuff in here, yet!

knotseraph
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by knotseraph »

[quote="Sean" Malone]I have noticed that an awful lot of the people in the Forum have a female login name but are actually male. I don't have a problem with that, but it does rather counter the argument that a person might need different IDs when playing different roles.There are also a very large number of members, perhaps even a majority, who don't say what gender they are, and that also undermines the argument that a person might need more than one ID.If I was talking to someone about self bondage, for instance, I would need to know their gender because it does not work the same for both genders. It is not just about the bondage, it is about the person inside the bondage, their inner feelings and desires, as well as the actual mechanics of it being very different. Anyone who is not prepared to reveal their gender might miss out on a whole lot of very good stuff.I know, I'm a newbie, and I've not had time to read back through all the excellent stuff in here, yet![/quote]I'll field this one.  When you see a female name and see that the person is male, often times that is a crossdresser.  In terms of forum interaction they are "female" even though they have male parts underneath the dress.  Usually though, they will be very clear about it.  It's a question of identity and self-image while playing I guess.  And a male crossdresser will often be close to a female in personality and feeling while bound.  And some females might have more of a male personality so it gets all blended up...As for revealing a gender, I too have my problems figuring out genders.  There is a field for it in the profile pages.  Many people, especially newcomers don't fill that out though...maybe newcomers should be flashed past the profile page at first so that they can fill out relevant information.  There have been requests for having gender listed on the left of every post.  However, the limitations of identity have blocked it because some people are male but dress as a female or are transgendered or have two dominant genders or see themselves as genderless or whatever so having a "male or female" choice is restrictive.I often ask people their gender.  And also reveal my gender in my sig.  I guess I hope that people will see enough gender revealing going on that they will include their gender when asking for advice.  Sometimes I just breeze by people not giving their gender because it is like they did not take the time so why should I?  Oh well...

Steph
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Steph »

I personally don't see why it matters. Most conversations I take part in on here aren't gender important. My profile doesn't say but anyone who kinda knows me on here will know the deal.And if your arguement is going to be "it's confusing to chat someone up", then surely you should ask first? I personally get a lot of offers from men (who haven't even posted on the forums), and I'm guessing they see a corset and get all horny and start asking if I'm interested. I just think that gives us men a bad name as that is ia pretty low way of approaching any person.

Swisstom
Chair Bound

Unread post by Swisstom »

Totally agree with Steph,

well said (written) Mate/Babe

Steph
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Steph »

Sean Malone
Unfettered Newbie

I think this is a good argument, but my point was that if you don't have to state a gender, you don't really need more than one ID. All you need is a name like Chris or Charlie or Gerry or Andy or even George, or one of many others used by both genders, and you can be as you want, when you want. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I did though, make the point that you need to get more specific when talking about self bondage. I have met some very nice people who were TV or TG at bondage events, and I'm sure CDs are the same. Those personal bits need to be catered for in erotic bondage or you miss the point completely. So there's no use suggesting a ball trap to a female cross dresser or someone who doesn't actually have any, or pussy lip rings to a male, in my opinion! I find it hard enough creating realistic sounding female characters in my stories.

Swisstom
Chair Bound

Unread post by Swisstom »

Thanks Steph, I was certain you'd appreciate the like joke

feline
Forever Mummified

Unread post by feline »

just to add another perspective / voice to the "what gender problem" when I have been on a site for a while some people call me a "she" and some people call me a "he"I call myself me *rolls over and looks cute while waving my paws in the air*Unless you are going to meet me offline, or we are having a *really* personal conversation, what possible difference does my physical gender make?  Both meeting offline and *really* personal conversations are things I work up to slowly, so there is plenty of time to sort out the gender question if needed.If you assume someones gender based on their forum ID, does this not say more about you than the other person?

Sean Malone
Unfettered Newbie

[quote="feline"] just to add another perspective / voice to the "what gender problem" when I have been on a site for a while some people call me a "she" and some people call me a "he"I call myself me *rolls over and looks cute while waving my paws in the air*Unless you are going to meet me offline, or we are having a *really* personal conversation, what possible difference does my physical gender make?  Both meeting offline and *really* personal conversations are things I work up to slowly, so there is plenty of time to sort out the gender question if needed.If you assume someones gender based on their forum ID, does this not say more about you than the other person?
[/quote]

You are absolutely right if people are discussing issues (like this), or having a personal conversation, but not doing rp. I would have absolutely no problem doing rp with someone who makes it clear what role they want to play, whatever that is. Otherwise it just becomes an unresolvable mess. I agree completely that on line, gender makes less difference than it does off line, but in rp in particular, psychology is important and the more precisely you understand the personality of the person you are doing it with, the better it works.

That's one of the reasons why rp is not my favourite online activity. In writing a fictional story, I can create characters with the appropriate sexual orientation to work with the story line. On line, things can get very confusing.

The worst thing is to leave the person you are talking to confused about who or what they are talking to.

feline
Forever Mummified

Unread post by feline »

*silly smiles*  if you are going to get into rp with a cat who turns into a dragon and you are worried about the gender of either of my forms then you *really* should have picked a different play partner!Gender is not going to help you much in forming a working mental model of me, I can guarantee you that

Sean Malone
Unfettered Newbie

I totally agree with that! I'd want to play with less magical entities! You are way out of my league.