How could we have missed this?

Latest information for Gromet's Plaza, GaggedUtopia's Archive. Off-Topic discussion, suggestions and comments are always welcome.
Guests
Tightly Hogtied

RE: How could we have missed this?

Unread post by Guests »

Reading some of the latest posts alerted me to something which seems blatantly obvious- we need a 'disclaimer' thingy.Bondage & Self Bondage can be (& is) a lot of fun. However, it can also be potentially dangerous. You can die doing this shit, or kill or maim someone you care very much about.Public bondage has it's own hazards....! That 'fantasy' person who discovers you might not be very nice at all...We need a permanent 'Personal Safety Sticky' type of thing in the forum. Such as 'Never leave a gagged partner alone'- 'Have at least one backup with S/B'- 'Try wearing a collar for a while before tying yourself up!'- 'Make sure someone knows where you are if you're meeting someone you don't know'- 'Lying on your back while gagged is a potential choking risk'- 'Getting this excited can be bad for your heart' (ha ha)I don't want to put anyone off something that's given me years of pleasure, but while a little pain can be great, I've had every injury & scare you could think of, apart from the house catching fire....I've also had inexperienced 'Doms' give me sprained wrists & so forth. I'm a tad reluctant to promote B&D without a few safety tips.For instance- the other night I thought I'd 'just tie myself a little bit' & go to sleep, in bed (the wife was away). Woke up later on, realising the knots had tightened, my hands were numb, I was affixed to the bed head by a lead I couldn't reach & the knife was across the room! tojo

Franzia
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by Franzia »

Hmm no replies to this post yet... most would rather not talk about it? Some kind of a disclaimer would be good IF people would actually read it- I've always had the suspicion that those who should pay most attention to warnings or safety reminders are also those who ignore any written reminder in the first place.

You have some excellent tips, Tojo- here is another one- all the safety tips there are can be summed up in one quote, and I apologize for the grim tone of it- it's powerful but needs to be said for those who never heard it before:

"Think of how stupid you're going to look when they find your body!"

Hopefully, somewhere out there this quote may save a life.     

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

My lack of response is more that I wouldn't know where to put it. To cover everything it would take pages and pages of text, stuff thatis well documented on other sites already, soooooo.....Instead of re-inventing the wheel, why not just come up with a bunch oflinks in this thread to sites that contain well written saftyarticles?  Once we have a good collection going, we can create aSticky for all of the forums.
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

feline
Forever Mummified

Unread post by feline »

my standard plan is to try and talk sense into anyone who does not seemto realise how dangerous all of this can be if you are not sensible...i still remember the thread in the old forum about the small risk of a6 foot long fire "ball" flashing across the room, from the oven to yourbound and helpless body...

gromet
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by gromet »

How about "contents may be hot!" or "Do not use hairdryer in the shower.""You'll go blind if you keep doing that!""Prolonged use may cause injury""The Government may be hazardous to your health.""Never test the depth of the water with both feet.""Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.""If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

cagedsgt
Strict Strappado

Unread post by cagedsgt »

My thoughts are more on the line that we are adults and as adults we should understand the risk with anything we try. If not, then sorry but you need to find someone to do the thinking for you.As for having accidents happen, well even people that have been driving for 40 years can still end up in an accident.There are a few simple things that might be able to be listed but unless someone has experienced the problem it might not be covered and then someone complain later that they wren't warned.I really see to much going on that everyone needs things detailed exactly how to do something rather then as most of us over the years of our own trial and errors, And even you might feel that a few of the greatest times is when something happened and it took a little extra to find a way free then you had planned.cagedsgt

Hypercat
Forever Mummified

Unread post by Hypercat »

Come on! We are all adult. We know what we are doing. Don't we?Besides, most bondage stories are yet a warning against unpleasant things derived by our passion.First of all, never let you being tied up by a person you don't know enough. The world is plenty of evil people
PART DEMON, PART GODDESS, ALL CAT!

Guests
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Guests »

OK OK! It was just a suggestion...I think Franzia pretty much says it all- the people who are most likely to do something stupid are least likely to read a (short) warning.Gromet- that proves you're an Aussie- 'if at first you don't succeed  skydiving is not 4 you!As for the 6 foot fireball- hell, I'm moving the stove outside next time! tojo- (the guy with the 170MPH motorcycle)

dungeonmouse
Chair Bound

Unread post by dungeonmouse »

I agree with the majority that we do not need any more warning labels.  However, I also think we can keep an eye on our fellow tribe members and gently remind those who seem a little too lost in the fantasy that bondage is a contact sport with significant dangers.  We do a good job of this already, I think, and I'm sure we'll keep doing it.

gromet
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by gromet »

Good suggestion Tojo, but really just how many warning can you give people. Anyway that's why we have the Darwin Awards!I have always had this in the back of my mind with the website, people will do the stupidest things, do I really need to help them along the way by publishing the material on the site. (hell yeah!)I could add pop up windows, flash animation and even credit card access to try to bring to their attention that some of the events described may be hazardous to your health. But then where do I stop and then you have to think of the others who don't want to see these warnings. (or pay for them!)I do know of some males who buy the cigarettes with the warning on the side that states that smoking may cause harm during pregnancy! Hey it won't affect them...