Editing posts (and quoting posts)

Latest information for Gromet's Plaza, GaggedUtopia's Archive. Off-Topic discussion, suggestions and comments are always welcome.
Fogane
Tightly Hogtied

RE: Editing posts (and quoting posts)

Unread post by Fogane »

When editing a post or quoting a post, this forum loses the formatting a bit and seems to add in various bits of code. I'm not using the WYSIWYG post editor.

feline
Forever Mummified

Unread post by feline »

the posting box seems to do odd things, at a guess it is heavilypowered by java script, or some such.  if you try the bullet listbotton (middle of the second row, next to the  1, 2, 3 button) doyou get a bulleted list that you can then use to type points?if not then the box is probably not fully functional on your machine, which might well explain this.it seems to be working as expected for me, using Firefox 1.0.7  ihave various extensions installed, including "NoScript", but i have setit to allow scripts from this site.oh yes, when you say you are not using the WYSIWYG edit, what posteditor are you using?  there only seems to be one editor for me,and given all of the buttons along the top it certainly seems to be aWYSIWYG editor.feline38649.7389583333

Fogane
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Fogane »

[quote="feline"]
the posting box seems to do odd things, at a guess it is heavily
powered by java script, or some such. if you try the bullet list
botton (middle of the second row, next to the 1, 2, 3 button) do
you get a bulleted list that you can then use to type points?[/quote]

Point 1
Point 2

Created in WYSIWYG mode. The forum settings lets you change the mode.
I've always prefered the non WYSIWYG, I like to see the code!

(and edited in non WYSIWYG mode, the line breaks on the quoted post have gone haywire.)Fogane38649.776875

gaggedutopia
Site Admin

Unread post by gaggedutopia »

I experimented with the non-WYSIWYG editor for a little bit butswitched back because of some of the problems you described.  Ioften prefer to see the code and my Google spellcheck works better withwithout the WYSIWYG editor. The people who write this forum are hinting at a major release soon,maybe in the next month or so... suppose to be a re-write of most ofthe code.  Maybe that will improve the non-WYSIWYG editor.GaggedUtopia38649.8056018519
Bondage Junkies: Bondage. Done. Right.
GU's Story Archive: Stories, Galleries and more!

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

Re: Editing posts (and quoting posts)

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

I realize I'm resurrecting a thread over a decade old... but I'm just wondering whether either the ability to edit one's own posts has been removed, or the method for doing so changed. I can't see the usual link for doing that, although I can't see any reason why that would be so - I was logged in, and looking at one of my own posts.
     I do realize that anomalies of this sort can appear short-term on web sites generally, for no detectable reason - but I was just wondering.
     Thanks.

Regards, Michael.

P.S.:
     Edit minutes later: I see the link for editing is present for this post - but still not for a previous post I made some hours ago. All the stranger....

Petrajane
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Petrajane »

LockedInALocker wrote:
P.S.:
     Edit minutes later: I see the link for editing is present for this post - but still not for a previous post I made some hours ago. All the stranger....
I think that there is usually a time limit set by the forum software that after a certain peroid the ability to edit your own post is disabled. I don't know what the settings for this forum are, sorry, but I think it's usually defaulted to an hour?

LockedInALocker
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by LockedInALocker »

Petrajane wrote:I think that there is usually a time limit set by the forum software that after a certain peroid the ability to edit your own post is disabled. I don't know what the settings for this forum are, sorry, but I think it's usually defaulted to an hour?
     It is true that I don't post here nearly as often as I did at one time (think I'm simply running out of new things to say), but this seems relatively new to me. Hitherto, and the most recent I recalled, you could edit a post almost any amount of time later, or at least some months.
     Not sure what I think about that, but it's best to be aware of it, at least - which I hadn't been. I'm a bit perfectionist, and if I see that I've misspelled a word, missed a comma, or used the wrong word, or something of that sort, I like to go back to correct it; but I guess I can't do that now, unless I see it very quickly.
     I suppose it's to stop people deleting whole posts when they fall out with other forum members, or the forum generally, thus disrupting the logic of a discussion.
     Does this happen very often, though? I do recall one forum member who spat the dummy and edited almost every one of his hundred or so posts to an empty screen before he left. But I wouldn't have thought that would happen very often, or be a significant problem overall.
     Also, on occasions I have had a whole additional thought closely related to what I posted earlier, and I have occasionally gone back to add that as an edit, although usually only if it's within minutes or an hour or so of the original post. Otherwise, I just made an extra post to add it. I guess that will have to become the sole way of adding new thoughts now.

Regards, Michael.