An improvement over ice in a stocking...

Sometimes you just have to do things yourself.
ObiObian
Unfettered Newbie

RE: An improvement over ice in a stocking...

Unread post by ObiObian »

I've used the old ice in a stocking method forrelease many times in the past, however I've always been truly scaredthat somehow my key-ring would snag against the stocking and neverfall.  I'm not a huge fan of safety backups, so I devised apractically fool-proof way to make sure my key will always fall.      I use a tall (about 4 inches), slender shot-glass,fill it with water and then freeze it. After it's sufficiently frozen Iremove the ice from the glass with a little warm water, take a drilland bore two quarter inch holes through my new ice cylinder, one holeat either end.  Next, just tie some string through one hole toyour ceiling and tie your keys through the other hole.      As long as you are able to access the keys where they fall, this release method is practically fool-proof.    (Of course, I have two cats, and a bunch of chimingkeys on the end of a piece of string would make a GREAT cat toy ... soI still use a safety backup.)    Hope it helps!

bondage_fan
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by bondage_fan »

Geat tip ObiObian. About how long does it take for it to melt?

tiedrubberdoll
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by tiedrubberdoll »

Good tip if you ask me. Maybe a bit unpractical as I don't have a drill at my disposal.

dungeonmouse
Chair Bound

Unread post by dungeonmouse »

You can also add a small weight to the key ring to overcome any friction on the stocking.  Make the weight something soft like a small bean bag if the weight might hit you.If you restrain yourself so you cannot move, you can deliver the key to your hands by tying the end of a long string directly ove your head.  Tie the keys to the other end of this string so the keys are at hand level when the string is hanging straight down.  Pull the string off to the side and attach a stocking with ice through a ring just like always.  You can't reach the string until the ice melts at which time the keys are delivered to your hands.

tiemeupalso
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by tiemeupalso »

when i used an ice release what i did was make a loop in one end if a short(6")piece of string.i froze the other end in a container(the size depending on how long i wanted to be tied)with the loop sticking out of the bottle. i would have the key(s) on a piece of longer string,7-8ft, and attach one end to the ceiling.when they released they would be almost at floor level directly under the attachment point.i would then put the keys through the loop in the frozen piece and set it on a high shelf or above the kitchen cabinets.the ice melts,and stays in the bottle,and the short piece of string is pulled out by the weight of the keys.when i am loose i put the short piece back in the bottle and refreeze it.

BoundBear
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by BoundBear »

A drill may not be necessary to make a narrow hole, you're working inice.  Try a small narrow stream of warm water from your faucet tocreate the hole.  Replace the ice block after creating the hole soit hardens again, but you should be able to get a decent hole withoutdestroying the whole ice block if you're careful.Never had a chance to try the classic ice in a stocking myself... it's sort of embarassing for a guy to go buy a stocking. (Especiallywhen you're like 6'3") Another idea I just came up with (but would like some time forexperimenting with of course), would be to fill a balloon with waterand then freeze it.  Place the keyring around the top of theballoon like you would a stocking, clip it in place, and puncture thebottom of the balloon slightly.  Assuming the balloon doesn'tcompletly rip open, it should work well.  Perhaps use some tape toborder where you plan on putting the hole.  Then hang up theballoon just like you would a stocking...  this could set you upfor a very long wait depending on how much you filled the balloon.

Jericho
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Jericho »

If I ever had to go and by new stockings for my releases, I'd just make a production of it. I'd take my cell phone, pretend to call my 'wife' and then go through the dim-witted hubby picking up stuff for the miss's back home, within earshot of the sales clerk.

"It was tan, oh nude, OK, knee highs, oh here they are.." you get the idea.

Jericho

ObiObian
Unfettered Newbie

Honestly now.  Being embarassed to buystockings these days is a bit silly.  Practically every grocerystore or wal*mart has self-checkout lanes.  You don't even have tolook at the attendant if you don't want to.  If you still feelself-conscious about it, just drive a few miles away where nobody willrecognize you.    I'll readily admit that I used to get realnervous/apprehensive/whatever (you know what I mean) when I needed topurchase something that a guy wouldn't normally purchase.  Ialways had some kind of elaborate excuse planned, just in case thecashier was a little too inquisitive.  However, I never needed touse it.  Just walk up with your item(s), lay them on the counter,wait, and leave.  Believe me, I know how intimidating it can be(really, believe me!), but after you do it a few times, it's no bigdeal.    Don't get me wrong though.  When I need to makea "questionable" purchase, I still go somewhere where I doubt I'll runinto someone I know.  I suppose the bottom line is, as long asyou're not wearing bright-red lipstick when you buy a pair ofpantyhose, your cashier is just as likely to assume that you're buyingfor someone else as they are to assume that you're buying foryourself.  Besides, as soon as you get out the door, you're notgoing to care anyway ... so don't get worked up over it.

phonicsmonkey
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by phonicsmonkey »

I like your idea, but it seems to me that your block of ice would melt a little quickly for my preference, especially if you're drilling holes through it.  Now if you took an empty two liter bottle of soda, filled it with water, froze it, cut away the plastic, and then drilled holes through, you'd have me convinced.  But I am biased and prefer using a two liter bottle for varied applications.

ObiObian
Unfettered Newbie

[quote="phonicsmonkey"]Now if you took an empty two liter bottle of soda....[/quote]I like your way of thinking!  I tried using a 16oz bottle the sameway once.  I've always been afraid of a strappado ever since!! ;)ObiObian38692.2159722222

BoundBear
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by BoundBear »

[quote="phonicsmonkey"]I like your idea, but it seems to me that yourblock of ice would melt a little quickly for my preference,especially if you're drilling holes through it.  Now if you tookan empty two liter bottle of soda, filled it with water, froze it, cutaway the plastic, and then drilled holes through, you'd have meconvinced.  But I am biased and prefer using a two liter bottlefor varied applications.[/quote]*looks in his kitchen cabinets*  Is that why I kept all those2-liter bottles?  I thought I was going to recycle them.  Ohwell. ;)And thanks for the encouraging suggestions as well.  This sort ofapprehension is what had me lurking so long on the old forums.

ObiObian
Unfettered Newbie

[quote="Jericho"]  If it's not too much trouble, could you elaborate on your strappado experience.[/quote]     No problem.  I just posted much of what I'mabout to say in another thread where I was dealing with reasons to becareful while doing it, but I'll give a more descriptive account here.    The most important thing that you need is a rope-ratchet.  Here's an example.Basically, it's a device that has a hook on one end so you can hang itfrom something.  On the other end, there is a pulley that can onlyspin one way and has teeth on it that will grip onto any piece of ropethat has some tension on it.  So, if something (such as yourwrists) is attached to one end of a rope that goes through arope-ratchet , you can use your hands to pull the other end of the ropethrough the ratchet and any length of rope that you pull through thedevice will only go one way.  Actually, it's just an industrialversion of the classic "special ring device".    Anyway, what I did was attach my rope ratchet to asecure point. (I've done it twice, once to a tree limb and once to ahook in my garage)  Then, I attached the old ice-cube-string-thingto the exact same place.  After that, all i did was bind my handstogether and then secure them to the end of my rope that can only bepulled through the "RR".  After that, just use your hands to findthe other end of the rope (it'll be hanging right there next to yourhands) and pull on it.  For every inch you pull on it, your wristswill be pulled up an inch.    Eventually, you're going to be well and truly stuckuntil your keys fall.  That's the good part.  The bad part isthat it really doesn't take long for your hands to go numb.  Oncethat happens, it may be too late to manipulate the key well enough tounlock your bindings.  The good thing is that "RR"s are rated fordifferent weights (75lbs, 150lbs, 250lbs, 500lbs)and if you select onethat's rated somewhere close to your weight, you'll be able to thrasharound until it gives out.This may seem like a weakness for the "RR" but I'll be the first to say that I'm quite gratefull.      Strappados are sexy to look at and really fun tothink about, but once you get yourself into one ... well, you'llunderstand!

Guests
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Guests »

All I ever did was freeze two bits of string in an ice cube, tie one to a light shade & tie the keys to the other. Unless the temp gets below zero, it's foolproof & lasts up to 40 minutes (I'm married & the sociable type 40 min was enough for me)For a backup- a jug full of some horrible substance- oil, whatever up on a shelf with spare keys attached to the handle. A long piece of string down to the floor where I could reach it- then if you're truly desperate, just pull the string. Make sure it's long enough, so the jug doesn't fall on you!KISS- keep it simple stupid. Now if I lived alone, & hadn't pretty well lost interest in S/B......tojo

Jericho
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Jericho »

Thanks again ObiObian, I figures that it wouldn't take long to go numb, if you read the other strappado topic, I think I may have come up with a solution to the release problem.

lanad
Tightly Hogtied

Re: An improvement over ice in a stocking...

Unread post by lanad »

will it simpler to freeze a cup of water with 2 short chains in it, one to hang with a drawing pin to the celling, the other to put your keys on. can't fail.

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Re: An improvement over ice in a stocking...

Unread post by Stahlketten »

Although I have never tried it, getting stockings for the "ice in a stocking" release would not be difficult.
Shoe stores have little boxes of tiny stockings for women to try on shoes. They are disposable and I have taken a few for various purposes. (They are great for securing items to the handle of a baby carriage.)
Panty hose can also be found in the local dollar store and I have bought a few there though I have never worn them... yet.
I don't believe the cashier or anyone else paid particular attention to the items I was buying because of the great variety that is typical in a dollar store purchase. Sooner or later, I suppose I should figure out what size would actually fit me.

ObiObian,
Thanks for the very cool (literally) idea. The basic idea of using ice as the only connector sounds great. It can not fail to melt sooner or later. The mechanism for securing keys can be improvised as needed without compromising reliability as long as there is no other physical connection than the ice.

- Stahlketten