[Game] Breakdown

Post images, media and links to media YOU OWN.
silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

[Game] Breakdown

Unread post by silentgator »

A while or so now i have been working on a Dark themed Text Game, as it sits now, i have a demo of it on the previous engine i was using (Quest), as i have found it to be way to limiting for what i could do, i have recently start rebuilding it on AGK (App Game Kit) which allows for a Basic interpreted language on top of C++, as such i have found it a good idea to expand the forums i post on, and hopfully since this forum is based around most of the content i am wanting to put into the game, i figured this was the best time to find a better community to hopfully help with polls, as well as give there own input, likes, dislikes, etc.

Game Information
-------------------------

Media: Text/Some Drawn Pictures/Gui Elements

Concept: You start the roll in the shoes of a young woman roughly in there mid to late 20's but i am leaving it more to the imagination, you end up being put into a situation from past transgressions, the game will at some point be procedural meaning each play through should hopfully be different, allowing for different captors, and different scenario's some captors will be part of specific scenario's but there will be a majority of defaults, your goal in the game is to escape by any means necessary, or become what your captors want to turn you into (I.E. sex slave, prostitute, etc), you are given 3 turns a day (may change in my remake but will have to see), in which you may rest/meditate/try to escape if you are not otherwise bound, in the case of being bound you are able to try and break free or find a way to get out, on a escape chance there will be minigames involved with the type of escape available to you, events will also be alot more interactive, allowing you to resist or submit, and will be far more dynamic then they are now, as i want it to be more a content type per event chain, which will randomize throughout the event, giving procedural outlook on the events.

Planned Content (Tags)
----------------------

Non-consent
Dominance Breaking
Submission (Corruption, and latter)
Bondage
Impregnation/Pregnancy
(Plenty more but i will update this as it comes)

Additional Information
---------------------------

As i am not a a writer, the content is liable for changes as it comes, and as it sits right now the Demo is in no way what i had planned for the product, At this current time as i am rewriting it in my spare time, the new rewrite will have Changeable Gui's which i will attempt to allow for everything to be changed so a player can create or find a skin that will alter the games appearance, and in saying that, i will assure you the default gui will not be pretty, i have a artist however he only does the screen drawings, and not the gui since it would take me far too much time wasted waiting on elements for the gui.

Side notes on the Demo, The content is very sparce, only 2 chance based turn events, which will be conglomerated into a single type of event that will pick each event turn between the 2 and however many else i add in, only 1 bad ending with 3 variations, and only 1 escape which was just a placeholder till i finished the new system, and only uses a 50% chance of success on the 2 choices, so it can be a instant lucky roll on trying to escape, as i am not willing to use the quest language further i will only fix errors and not add more to that demo, this is because C++ towards Quests child language is going to yield far better results, even if it may take me longer to put out the new demo as im relearning everything as i go.

Demo link (Website may be bad at some times of day, i do not own it so i cannot do anything to fix this)
---------------------

Just a FYI this will require you to create a free Account on the site to play as it is rated Adult.
http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... /breakdown

Skinners Resource: https://yadi.sk/d/515UYxNVuceSk

- Gui contains all gui elements in use, and is not fully finished yet, as im doing this as i get to those parts of the game.

- Content contains all pictures in use, it is no where complete and wont be for a while as i will be allowing for pictures in events at some point, but at the moment it only contains the situations images, you are allowed to add your own to depict what you want just make sure to name it properly and use the proper image type (in this case all images will be using jpg, as it was my artists choice).

If you are getting slow speeds downloading registering for free takes the limiter off, Yandex will be the most commen download situation i will be using, however i know some countries dont like russian storage sites, for whatever reason that may be, so i am willing to use 1 extra download site, but until theres issue i will be sticking to yandex only, as i have had little issue with it, minus the storage app not working on windows 10.
Last edited by silentgator on 30 Aug 2016, 23:48, edited 3 times in total.

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

Re: [Game] Breakdown

To anyone who it may concern towards how ugly the GUI will be, heres the current Menu, everything in it as with everything else except splash screen has a changable Background, and all elements aside from that can also be altered, i am thinking about making text controllable by a INI later on so you can further change color and Font style to fit the skins that are made by whoever feels a intrest in this.

https://s3.postimg.io/4bwicwnsz/2016_08_21_02_43_58.png
Just a FYI image was too big to fit in a img tag, and i am rather tired at the moment so ill leave it as a link.

As this is just the preliminary look, for the demo, i may be altering it as needed, however the gui coloration most likly wont change for the default skin, however if i end up having a little bit of a change of heart, it might, just highly doubt it, since im more intrested in building the game at the moment.

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

Unread post by DarkLizerd »

It's a start...
but don't stop yet.
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

DarkLizerd wrote:It's a start...
but don't stop yet.
Wasn't planning on it.

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

So ive decided to do faders for switching to certain portions of the game, mainly the game content, most menu options wont use a fader, as this would more then likly be more of a piss off then somthing useful for atmosphere. as it sits now, ive been writing up functions for use in the game later on along with the faders, still need to decide on how i want my new button system to work but i may not make it into functions and bite the bullet writing the code out the long way, which is more a pain in my ass but every try ive gone for has lead to me realizing down the line i may want somthing to work differently, and i rather not get lazy, anyways most of the annoying work is out of the way (least for getting the basics all working together) so now its just the boring work of setting up gui's for the character creator, which probly wont take too long just alot of boring rewrites and extra gui components, after that ill work on the Prelude/intro and Day System Gui as well as the reworking on the day system, ill probly keep it pretty basic to how it was for the start, save a lil more time on the rewrite, anyways, just a quick update.

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

A work of advice... programmer to programmer...
Common functions for everything... one change here could change the entire program without re-writing everything...
If you are planning/considering a second story at some time, but want to use the basic program (commands, menus, interface)
separate program/running code from story code...
Extra work, but it would jumpstart your next program/game.

Personalized story details (from char generator) make the story read more fluid.. (unlike that statement! :oops: )

the pictures add to the game, but, when the text is displayed first, then the picture bumps the text down, it kinda
throws off the reading...
Is there a way to place the picture first, then the text?
Or, have a text field and a picture field, unless you have a screen full of text...
(just a few thoughts)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

DarkLizerd wrote:A work of advice... programmer to programmer...
Common functions for everything... one change here could change the entire program without re-writing everything...
If you are planning/considering a second story at some time, but want to use the basic program (commands, menus, interface)
separate program/running code from story code...
Extra work, but it would jumpstart your next program/game.

Personalized story details (from char generator) make the story read more fluid.. (unlike that statement! :oops: )

the pictures add to the game, but, when the text is displayed first, then the picture bumps the text down, it kinda
throws off the reading...
Is there a way to place the picture first, then the text?
Or, have a text field and a picture field, unless you have a screen full of text...
(just a few thoughts)
This is being rewritten in a C++ kit (AGK) the demo you were trying was programmed in a horrible web language, as for the processes involved in the game im writing most of my own code using as much of the AGK softworks that i need, the basic language still lets me write my own functions and otherwise, and as for the gui it is being hardcoded for use with skin makers, as far as it goes i have already had to redo stuff, as i was using alot of the original softwork from AGK which when it came down to it, the buttons they premade were horrible ratio sizing monsters, so i rewrote a hardcode ready design of my own using sprites.

But yes i agree that the picture to text should be fluid, and as such i will probly have to run through a few different gui setups once i get to the point where i will need to involve pictures, which will be fairly soon, as i am currently just messing around with a few different transition functions i wrote to see which is better, as it sits now my most basic is probly the winner, as it is the least issuematic, on a side note i am not very much a writer and as such i have already determined that i will need to rewrite stuff, however as is for how the game will work in the long run or rather how i want the final situation to sit, the text will be procedural on mostly everything, start of it hasnt been too procedural at all, but as im in a more competent coding situation i feel that it will be how i want it at a lot sooner a time then what it would have been if i kept trying to use that outdated and messy language.

another note my next game when i finish this one which i dont think will be any time soon as i have alot of milestones already planned for it and all of which are pretty extensive, but when i do work on my next game, i dont know if i will be doing another text game, since this language is a bit too powerful for a text game in terms of what it is capable of, seeing as it is a interpreted C++, which i can also work on certain aspects within C++ to add to the functionality, or even swap over to direct C++ and just use whats in the kit through that, but either way i was thinking something along the lines of full 2D or maybe even 3D on a horror scene, but im getting ahead of myself, as i will be needing to finish this at least to the point where half if not more of my milestones are done, so if it comes down to it most of the stuff in here probly wont help much, minus the C++ libraries ive writen with my extra function stuff like fade in's and out's and other transitions as well as some minor particle stuff which may be used in this game or may not, still havent decided on that, as it could either do great, or do horribly bad, specially since its supposed to be a strict Text based game, with some images to give a feel, as it sits with the images, minus the gui, i dont make them i have a partial artist who helps me with those, and he does most of his work in a Noir setting, Black/white/greyscale, so when it comes down to it, i will probly be opening those images up to skinners as well, since im sure noir settings wont entirly work for some skin colour scheme's.

---------------------------------------------------------

Mini update

-------------------

Going to be doing the character generation into the Procedural process of the Intro, in a form of a childhood memory chain, so stuff like "As a child your father always commented on how much your eyes look like your mothers, a beautiful shade of:" choice 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,etc.

I will probly be rewriting alot of it as i go depending on how it sounds and user input, but for the time being its the idea, the system is rather clean, and i am documenting everything to help me quickly navigate to change what is needed, but when i get to the events and anything else that will be procedural(picked from a bunch of different things, then pieced together to make a paragraph/situation/etc) it will be a bit more difficult and i will be placing a Bug Form to fill out for those who find writing error's or clash ups that dont fit.

Most updates for a while will not be playable demo links, just a quick FYI as i wont release this untill its the same spot as the current demo, i work on this rather irradic, but usually somthing every day, but im pretty sure it will be a bit, having gotten to the char creation section, and having realized how much of the kit i am able to use by itself and the rest of what i need which is using somthing from the kit but in my own functions or struct situations i am sure it will still be a while, seeing as that first demo took me a 2 week and 1-2 days span im guessing this will be a bit longer, but sometimes i get into a point where im able to push out at least placeholders for stuff then slowly refine it in that same day cutting off a few days of work alone, but that also depends on if i have time, either way, will keep updating as i progress to give a partial visual look on the progress.

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

You could check out my work in process...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nhzxq ... e_04_2.exe

Also,forum.BoundAnna.com has a software section and game players there too...
They may have a few ideas for you.

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

DarkLizerd wrote:You could check out my work in process...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nhzxq ... e_04_2.exe

Also,forum.BoundAnna.com has a software section and game players there too...
They may have a few ideas for you.

Mmm, towards your game it seems like it'ed be ok, not the same direction i went, as i am using a directx alternative, and am in the end going to work on it looking like a A, maybe AA title later on, depending anyways, looks ok for a app, i may suggest personally to have it running on a single form so it doesnt jump so much, but its looking like a good start, as for another forum ill give it a thought, am a bit taxed as it is, but alot of the forums i have this listed on get no responses on updates, minus lurkers, so i may be willing to ignore and take on another, thanks for the info.

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

Saddly having looked at there disallowed content, Non-Consentual is in there, i put in a topic for the moderators to look at, and decide for thereselves if they will allow it, but i am pretty sure it wont end up being in there, thanks for the suggestion still though.

On a side note seeing as you let me see your work openly, i shall also put up a public link of what i currently have done on the rewrite, but it isnt much of anything have been having a shitty for working day, so ive only just started on the char gen and alot of it isnt viewable as i was having a hard time hardcoding the gui however i have finished it enough to proceed with the rigging on the rest of the generator, just as i said bad day, so this link will just show you the basics IE: Main Menu, Faders ive decided to use (Very Basic), as well as just the start of the char gen gui, and only 1 actual section, which i have still to program the buttons for, and the backgrounding text needs changing, but anyways

Edit: I have updated the top post with the necessary content.
Last edited by silentgator on 25 Aug 2016, 11:36, edited 2 times in total.

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

I don't think the "Non-Consensual" applies to fictional stories or games... (but, their call, not mine)
I'm programming mine ground-up in VB6...
haven't worked on it for... (too long)...
But I may get back to it before too long... I hope...
The new font in your new version is MUCH better.

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

DarkLizerd wrote:I don't think the "Non-Consensual" applies to fictional stories or games... (but, their call, not mine)

the fonts just the standard font, will be locating a newer one to allow skinners to change it to fit there gui reskins, allowing for the gui to be completly customizable.

as a side note, the font on the old version was made to look retro.

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

Just a heads up i replaced the debug link with the gui skinnable ready version of the debug, so you can look and mess with it as it shows all the essential stuff, i also replaced the link with a safer one, incase any random script kiddies try and inject my files with shit.

Also you may want to change your upload site to Yandex or Mega for your stuff or drop box, as they all have heavy virus scanning situations on there server's, and if some ass does inject your stuff, they just delete the file and let you know in email, least for yandex, mega i think just deletes it, and drop box is connected to your PC so you usually know if some lil shit trys to add shit, mediafire is a rather issuematic file hosting situation, and is well known by people who try to spread there internet STD's.

Some Side notes for the people who are intrested in skinning.

- The stuff in the current demo has everything minus some of the buttons, but those shouldnt be that different just different text or icon or whatever you want to have depict the thing its supposed to be, so you can start on making a skin, however you should make a duplicate of the Graphics folder, because i still have more buttons to add later on, however the stuff there at the moment is basicly almost everything, just missing maybe around 12 or so button's (Might be more, but we will see) but buttons should be easy to remake if you use a layer able art app, and keep dev copies.

- Images need to retain the same name and file extension, and it is case sensative, from what i have seen.

- There is a font app built specificly for this engine i am using and i have writen a small read me with information in using it, however it will need trial and error, but the main menu does have both text types that i have included at the moment, this app is thanks to one of the communities members and i have not altered it in any way so the file size has raised quite a bit, just dont think it means theres more content, i have been sick today and not really intrested in doing much work on this.

- As im using sprites for everything on the gui, you can make images any dimension, it will resize the best it can, however awkward pixel sizing will still cause issue, as normal if you want to use awkward sizing you will need to do trial and error

- Anyone who has made a Gui skin, as long as the content is made by you keep all the rights to there creation, and can place it under any license they feel is fit, which includes any commercial licensing, i do not care if you want to try and profit from your hard work, just as long as you dont change the studio logo/engine logo, these both are off limits, but everything in the graphics folder can be altered as you see fit, just make sure if you are going to sell it that you have made everything in it yourself, for fonts you can use any open source licensed font and this will keep you from lawsuit issues, i do however hope you will be more persuaded to give your skins away freely.

- Any skins made, can be shown/linked on this thread, least till another location has been found, i will update my top post with the debug for skinners.

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

Alright got the Char gen ready this morning, will have someone look it over at some point, but should be ready to start on the day cycle structure, which PROBLY wont take too long, but i need to do quite a bit of thinking on how stuff will look, so gui wise will make me take a bit as i will probly go through a few different look mockups in paint or gimp, and see what some people think of the different layouts.

The char gen text will probly need reworking but i think it should do for now.

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

silentgator wrote:
DarkLizerd wrote:I don't think the "Non-Consensual" applies to fictional stories or games... (but, their call, not mine)

the fonts just the standard font, will be locating a newer one to allow skinners to change it to fit there gui reskins, allowing for the gui to be completly customizable.

as a side note, the font on the old version was made to look retro.
Yea... maybe too retro...
Yandex .... what?
which one would be the file hosting one???

(I'll check your update.)
Oh... I saw your comment about Yandex not working on Win 10...
I'm using Win 10...
If Quest is jist a script runner, I made a very simple one for multi-threaded story telling...
No code, no bells or whistles, and not configurable :( yet...
Just "story text", with random text, and direction exits...
Useful for interactive story telling, or could be used as a virtual master or mistress...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/w8tk2 ... er_2_5.exe
With samples...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nl37e ... tories.zip
I plan on adding:
Pictures, random pictures...
Variables...
Sound...

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

www.yandex.com , and the windows client just doesnt work properly on windows 10 you can still upload files less then 2 gigs up on the site using the site built client.

and ya i rather not touch mediafire, i get alot of phishing flags fire whenever i mess with it, as well as a few other flags now and again on files that should probly be clean.

Quest is... mmmm a interpreted html/possibly VB or C++ language, maybe java not sure the dev alex, doesnt seem to care about fixing certain things in the language though, sometimes updates the code base, but i found quite alot of crap that didnt actually work how it was supposed to, and even asked for help on alot of it getting just community replys which didnt help at all, and no matter how i setup something that was possible to fix it, it wouldnt work, causing me to go in directions i didnt want to go in, as they added extra time to get something mildly close to the same look i was capable of getting, and on the side not if you do want to do your own gui, you end up needing to go into the code base itself and sometimes what should work in HTML/CSS/Javascript, doesnt even interpret right, so it was in my opinion a waste of time, as the dev never once took the time to reply on alot of the more major discussions asking for help, only really replying on stuff in such as "Dont double post", "Please behave" you know shit thats kinda ment for moderator's, not for someone who is developing a language who needs to assert help to those in need using said product.

mmm BUT in the long run yes you could use it to write stories easily, interactive stories were pretty capable but if you want more, the work expands ten times more then just using a C++ environment since you will run into alot of walls that wont be delt with, as well as have to make hour intensive work arounds because chances are the ways you would think would work, will flag larger issues resulting in entire rewrites in alternative routes, or heavy frustration as you try to piece together code alternatives into somthing that might give the same look, its just fuckin exhausting, i almost gave up on this project cause of that bullshit.

And yes it was Snes/Sega Beginning era Retro, so not very retro, could have gone with Box cap retro which is basicly Starting computer era... Lol

Updates just the essential start point for skinner's, not much to anything in content, ive so far finished the char generator yesterday and just adding some extra crap before i get started on the day cycle, but i was pointed out by the people i have testing the normal debug crap that i should be adding some reroll features as well as add in some new faders on the progression events since the current faders are a bit too slow still, which is simple enough, but today i have less time, so will probly only get that done today.

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

One thing that bugged me, that should be east to change...
You do something... (like try to escape)
guy come back so your only option is rest.
you select rest...
(new screen)
you rested..
only option is continue
(new screen)
it brings you back to your 3 options...
if you drop the "you rest", continue screen, the program will run a little quicker...
you could add the text... to the 3 option screen...
"after your rest, you feel ready to continue..."
then show your bedroom with the main 3 options...

Or if you meditated... add...
"You feel refreshed after your meditation and feel ready to continue..."

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

DarkLizerd wrote:One thing that bugged me, that should be east to change...
You do something... (like try to escape)
guy come back so your only option is rest.
you select rest...
(new screen)
you rested..
only option is continue
(new screen)
it brings you back to your 3 options...
if you drop the "you rest", continue screen, the program will run a little quicker...
you could add the text... to the 3 option screen...
"after your rest, you feel ready to continue..."
then show your bedroom with the main 3 options...

Or if you meditated... add...
"You feel refreshed after your meditation and feel ready to continue..."
at the current stage of the new demo, im still drawing up gui mark ups to see which one i like the look of, as it goes for how the game may end up playing the new screens for some of the older stuff might not even exist, as i am unsure towards how it will end up, the only stuff that will more then likly stay the same is how the game works, as well as the options you had for the day cycle where events dont fire, events thewmselves are going to be done in the way i wanted to work on quest that ended up showing me how limited and slow it really was, as for all that stuff in the quest version i had planned on adding images for those bits, infact i think rests had a image, so im not sure as to how i will handle this, but i may still be doing it with a continue button, however how fast you can progress through is all up to how the gui is setup, as i no longer have to change pages so to speak, and can easily have a repeating loop chain to run most of it with the same gui components, so having a general positioning for a default continue/rest/wait whatever the basic points are would be easily do able, the quest engine just refreshed very baddly so it was harder to have the continue/rest whatever close enough or in the same position, making you have to move your pointer to the proper location, HOWEVER if you used the text input you could have just typed in the numbers, and for this remake i will also be doing a hotkey setup at a later date once everythings back to where it was.

Edit: and ya i am seeing what your trying to say at the end, but that would have involved a timer in quest, actually most situations if you wanted a quick readable that didnt need to be clicked, and quest is very unreliable on that crap website, and since its annoying enough to need its dev player to work on windows it wasnt really a good idea, ill see what happens for here, but having writen a bit on it i am kinda thinking that to make it quicker but still allow for the older art drawn up by my artist seeing as i rather not put it to waste, it defenitly seems like having a general position for continue/rest itself on the gui for the daycycle would be the best choice, the character creator is rather fast to go through already and thats a jumble of button's, however it is ment to be read least for the first few times as i am unsure if i will make the text in that dynamic or not, maybe at a later time when and if i feel like randomizing it, however i feel that picking through it is rather fast already and thats even with a very quick fade loader, so, we will see, either way, i do have to load alot of things each screen as this kit does not have a built in media pipeline, and can cause weirdness as i am using the 2D aspects of directx not the 3D aspects, so i will be needing to do load fades even if there almost instant, otherwise you'll get sync issues, which will cause sprite tearing and other crazy randomness.

DarkLizerd
Hopelessly Suspended

Oh good!!! Key inputs!
I was going to suggest, or ask, about that, thanks!
It looked like that option was there.

silentgator
Unfettered Newbie

DarkLizerd wrote:Oh good!!! Key inputs!
I was going to suggest, or ask, about that, thanks!
It looked like that option was there.
yup, i wont be adding it into this till im finished up to where the old demo was, as its kinda meaningless till i have everything finished enough that i know what keys i can use for the specific bits that might alleviate some of the time waster portions of the game, as i am unsure how ill have it and am waiting on certain people who i rely on for looking at concepts before i start on the day cycle, but as for now, i am considering having events pop inside a pop up gui element on the day cycle, which should quicken it, as i am dealing with directx its extremly easy to deal with multiple gui pop up's inside a game environment, however will depend on which gui setup some folks i deal with think would work best, as one of the designs has a large enough text space for decent ammount of text, i wont be using scrolling however as i find thats a waste of time in itself, as well as a pain in the ass to setup in the current kit.