Modifying Bondage Cuffs

Dom/me, sub, swtich or undecided? Bring your kinky ideas in here!
Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Modifying Bondage Cuffs

Unread post by Stahlketten »

Has anyone else here tried to make modifications to steel restraints to make them work better, be more comfortable, use for a different purpose, etc.?
I have modified a few modern handcuffs and replica Darby handcuffs for better function.
I have tried to smooth out the rougher Darby style handcuffs and leg irons for more comfort for the prisoner but have not tried to do this on some of the less common toys.

- Stahlketten.

Hertoy
Chair Bound

Re: Modifying Bondage Cuffs

Unread post by Hertoy »

Perhaps wrapping them with black electrical tape or duct tape might work ?
Mistress ! No ! Please ! Don't ! Stop !

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Files and sandpaper work pretty well for smoothing sharp and rough edges.
I often do a lot of work to make cuffs work the way that they were intended to.
I was just wondering if others also modify toys for more comfort or do you prefer to keep things as they were designed.
BTW, Automotive heater hose works pretty well for keeping modern handcuffs from damaging furniture.

- Stahlketten

steellover
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by steellover »

The only pair of handcuffs I ever had to modify was a "generic" pair that had a pin on the side that needed to be depressed in order to double lock them. Unfortunately, when the cuffs were unlocked, the pin was flush with the side of the handcuff so lining up the pin on the key with the pin on the cuff to double lock them was nearly impossible.

I found a drill bit that was just the same diameter as the pin, put it in my drill press, very carefully lined up the bit with the pin on the cuff, which was depressed to keep the drill bit from wandering, and drilled the pin down about 1/8 of an inch.

Now, when the cuffs are unlocked, the pin is just slightly lower than the side of the handcuff. This makes it easier to find the pin and depress it to double lock the cuffs.

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Your method was much more effective than mine.
I had the same issue but I went about it in a "smarter" way.
There is a pin on most modern handcuffs that when knocked out, the lock mechanism can be removed from the body of the cuff. I had the same problem and knew that was a way to get inside. I had no trouble pulling the lock mechanism out. When I modified the plunger piece and tried to reinstall the pieces, I found that some of them were such soft steel that they bent when I was reinstalling the pin. I had done this with other handcuffs, so it wasn't a matter of not knowing how things fit together.
The parts eventually fit back in with a little filing and cleaning off sharp edges but if I had not bothered to take the lock apart, it would have worked much smoother than it does now.... Until the pieces wore so much that the lock would get jammed. The fact that things did not quite line up and that it was a no name brand should have been a hint, but they still work and are secure and I did not pay much for them.

- Stahketten

steellover
Tightly Hogtied

Stahlketten wrote:Your method was much more effective than mine.
I had the same issue but I went about it in a "smarter" way.
There is a pin on most modern handcuffs that when knocked out, the lock mechanism can be removed from the body of the cuff. I had the same problem and knew that was a way to get inside. I had no trouble pulling the lock mechanism out. When I modified the plunger piece and tried to reinstall the pieces, I found that some of them were such soft steel that they bent when I was reinstalling the pin. I had done this with other handcuffs, so it wasn't a matter of not knowing how things fit together.
The parts eventually fit back in with a little filing and cleaning off sharp edges but if I had not bothered to take the lock apart, it would have worked much smoother than it does now.... Until the pieces wore so much that the lock would get jammed. The fact that things did not quite line up and that it was a no name brand should have been a hint, but they still work and are secure and I did not pay much for them.

- Stahketten
After I modified the cuffs they served quite well until the chain pivot pulled loose; the only solution I found for that was a pair of Smith & Wesson model 100's. The modified locking mechanism never did fail. Just the housing where the chain pivot was inserted. I guess you get what you pay for. By the way, that was several years ago and the Smith & Wesson 100's are still going strong.

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

So as with mine, the steel was too poor quality to hold up.
Depending on where the break was, maybe you could reconnect them in some other manner?

- Stahlketten

steellover
Tightly Hogtied

Unlikely. The pivot literally pulled out of its hole, enlarging the hole in the process. I think the problem was twofold: poor quality steel and a pivot that was too narrow at the end that was inside the frame. I noticed that the Smith & Wesson pivots are wider at the end that is in the frame so any stress is less concentrated.
The cheap cuffs lasted for several years before they broke so I guess I got my money's worth out of them.

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Several days ago, my Jailer put me in a pair of handcuffs and a pair of leg irons and locked a long chain onto the leg irons with the other end around a support post in our basement. The handcuffs were left on me but were released from the very restrictive position in which they had started.
After about an hour and a half chained to the support post, I decided to look around and found a small piece of sheet metal which I then modified to pick the locks to the leg irons. Handcuff type locks tend to be pretty simple and the reason she had locked me in the basement was to prevent me from finding a key (we have many) and getting free.
I was a bit disappointed that it was so easy to actually pick the lock to these high quality modern leg irons.

This brings me to the point of this thread:
Handcuff locks are pretty simple and easy to pick. Although pin-tumbler locks can be picked, they are much more difficult. To me, they are the most secure locking device that is commonly available. I have modified other medieval style shackles to use a modern padlock to keep closed.
Has anyone here ever tried modifying modern handcuffs and leg irons for more security with padlocks?
Is there an easier method for greater security for those "dangerous" prisoner that require the extra security?
The prisoner needs to be unable to escape but should be comfortable enough to stay in the chains indefinitely if required.

d3vious.g3nius
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by d3vious.g3nius »

Stahlketten, while not exactly what you are looking for... wouldn't it be simpler for your Jailer to simply remove the use of your greedy lil' fingers! Hehe, in a comfortable way of course.

Fist mitts, clingfilm + electrical tape or simply tying your thumbs to the sides of your hands? Although, if your are not gagged then this idea is easily/partially defeatable.

Maybe this isn't in line with your bondage tastes either? Anyhoo, this is just me, trying to help a Jailer out ;)

Happy bondages,
- d.g
"I am not helpless, I'm simply restrained at the moment!"

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Hello D.G.

Your idea would certainly work. In fact I already have a set of mitts for that purpose though they were only received a couple days ago and we have not used them yet. From what I can tell, the mitts will be cumbersome and take a few minutes to put on or take off. Although I have no problem with the aesthetics, they would not be very practical for long term wear (as if bondage were practical in any way).
A chain an a couple padlocks would be quite secure but not comfortable for extended wear. The aesthetics there are also not very pleasing.
I just happen to like metal toys though sometimes wood or leather will also do and they should not require a lot of time or thought to put on or my Jailer gets impatient and I also like the idea of being able to examine a set of toys in detail and still finding them completely secure. This idea would also make for yet another interesting project though I really do wish that my Jailer could be the test subject in this case.

- Stahlketten

d3vious.g3nius
Tightly Hogtied

Okay, okay Stahlketten... what about:

1)A chain sized and cut to your waist so that it cannot slip down past your hips
which connects front and center/behind and center with a padlock.

2)A pair of chain handcuffs cut, separated into 2 halves, which are then affixed to
the waist chain semi-permanently, again with padlocks, in a comfortable spot BUT
not allowing your hands to work in unison for your misdeeds as a prisoner :-P

That's it! Your Jailer therefore has almost zero extra time locking you up. One lil'
extra padlock on the waist chain ;)

Also, I'm sure you can fashion some type of soft plastic(?) sleeve/wrap for the chain
if you find it uncomfortable against your skin.

I'll keep thinking on your original request but it is very difficult to come up with a lock
for a lock for your specific set of circumstances!!!

- d.g

d3vious.g3nius
Tightly Hogtied

Hrmmm.... guess my idea followed along your thought of: "A chain and a couple padlocks would be
quite secure but not comfortable for extended wear. The aesthetics there are also not very pleasing.
"

Maybe consider that part of your punishment, you don't always get aesthetically pleasing looking bondage :-P
Sort like when people like symmetrically placed cuffs and what not so you tie them up "out of order" :twisted:

btw, I had to add this post rather edit my previous due to forum limitations/settings, sorry.

-d.g

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

d3vious.g3nius wrote: 1)A chain sized and cut to your waist so that it cannot slip down past your hips
which connects front and center/behind and center with a padlock.

2)A pair of chain handcuffs cut, separated into 2 halves, which are then affixed to
the waist chain semi-permanently, again with padlocks, in a comfortable spot BUT
not allowing your hands to work in unison for your misdeeds as a prisoner :-P
This sounds like the modern "Belly Chain" used today for prisoner transport.
We have several sets of those. They are not all that secure mostly because it is hard to fasten them tight enough not to cut off circulation an still keep the prisoner from reaching one cuff with the other hand, or reaching the padlocks holding things in place.
d3vious.g3nius wrote: I'll keep thinking on your original request but it is very difficult to come up with a lock
I am still working on the "lock for a lock" idea. There is a modern version but it only works on handcuffs: The "Black Box" or "Blue Box" depending on the manufacturer. It would be good if it left the chain flexible or worked on leg irons.

The idea of "Punishment" uncomfortable bondage or something that is not aesthetically pleasing doesn't work well here. My Jailer really is not interested in punishment and only does this to humor me. I like it for the psychology and neat arrangement of toys. If it does not please the Jailer and does not please the prisoner, then there is no point.
Some people like rope bondage, some people like trash bag bondage. We probably will never do more than experiment there if at all because neither of us is interested. The idea of wearing chains as a punishment is entirely lost upon my Jailer, so that isn't something she would suggest on her own.

d3vious.g3nius
Tightly Hogtied

You two have a laser like focus on this!!! Sorry for barking up all the wrong tree's ;)
- d.g

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

d3vious.g3nius wrote:You two have a laser like focus on this!!! Sorry for barking up all the wrong tree's ;)
- d.g
Hello D.G.

My Jailer and I are not quite so well focused as you believe, but the topic was really a "Have any of you done this?" rather than an attempt to find other ways to play.
Our last play session was a good example. Both of us ended up wearing toys at various times. She was actually in shackles longer than I was which is very unusual. The relevance is that all of the shackles that were used were originally intended for tiny luggage type locks and I opened up the holes to take slightly larger padlocks for better security and availability.
The little luggage locks often fail or can be forced open pretty easily and one cannot have a prisoner getting free or getting stuck so easily!
With one set of shackles, it was a matter of just aligning the holes and barely enlarging them. With the other set, it was a matter of using a drill press to open up the holes because a substantial amount of metal was being removed.

A lot of the brass padlocks we use have also had their corners and edges rounded off so that there is nothing that can accidentally scratch anyone.

Another set of shackles has had a lot of weld spatter removed with a file. Obviously this was not during play because a prisoner cannot be trusted with any tools that can potentially be used to get free.

d3vious.g3nius
Tightly Hogtied

Again, apologies for going off topic.

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

A Lock for a Lock

d3vious.g3nius wrote: I'll keep thinking on your original request but it is very difficult to come up with a lock

- d.g
Here is what seems like a pretty good solution to the "Lock for a Lock" problem.
It turned out to be pretty easy to do once I had the idea. The only problem was poor precision in drilling because the bit wanders when drilling through an existing slotted hole. The hole still should be cleaned up a bit to look nicer.
An unmodified double lock slot can be seen on the S&W Model 104 High security handcuffs on the right side.

The double lock piece can be seen through the hole in the upper cuff. Once it is engaged, the padlock prevents it from being disengaged even with the handcuff key and thus the cuff cannot be unlocked until the padlock is removed.
Turned out to be a pretty simple solution after all.
Attachments
S&W M100 Padlock
S&W M100 Padlock

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

A couple weeks ago, a set of S&W Leg Irons were modified the same way and the handcuffs and leg irons were both tried on the beautiful lady who is normally my Jailer.
To tease her, I handed her the handcuff key and she realized that it was pretty useless with the padlocks in place.
She had to earn the keys to the padlocks with a very passionate kiss. Nothing X-rated though. It isn't fair to change a game too much after it has started and all she had agreed to was to try on a "new idea for jewelry".

Perhaps I should modify a set of S&W Belly Chains in the same manner. I just need to make sure I have a spare set that I can leave unmodified when less security is required.
We have never used belly chains much because handcuff keys are too easy to find but with this modification for a padlock, finding a handcuff key does not matter at all.

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

A few days ago I finished modifying a set of S&W Belly Chains to take padlocks through the cuffs.

Now I just need a willing test subject to try out the new jewelry. It is just a matter of rounding up the "usual suspect" and arresting her for some imagined transgression. Convincing her will be the most difficult part which is usually the case.