Photography

Dom/me, sub, swtich or undecided? Bring your kinky ideas in here!
Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Photography

Unread post by Stahlketten »

One of the things I have noticed is that often what works for actually bondage doesn't look so good in photographs and vice versa. Some much less than secure rope bondage looks great in a photograph but isn't really practical for more than a few minutes to get the shot.
Another recent trend is the use of "bondage tape" which might work well in reality but in a photograph, it looks pretty much like electricians tape which isn't particularly useful for bondage.

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Re: Photography

Unread post by Tesgri »

I can certainly agree with that.

Being that a decent percent of our play is done with the intent of pictures, while the rest is just for fun, there is a lot more thought, preparation, and in some cases, compromise on restraint to get a good looking picture. Often times we don't show off the back since it tends to be messy.

On the other side however I've always taken a 'realistic' approach to things. While I have skills in photoshop I never use it for my pictures, if people dislike some blemish they see than to bad. I have also tried to apply that to rope work as well.

Still it's hard to get pictures of "this is our life" rather than "we staged a part of our life so that you will like it" just because if the goal is to get attention the latter works better.

Stahlketten
Strict Strappado

Unread post by Stahlketten »

Hi Tesgri,

I really don't believe we are discussing the same thing.
I am commenting on photograph sets that are meant to tell a story.
Your photographs are meant to record the more interesting parts of play with your partner.
I can't see where Photoshop would ever be needed for something like that.

As an example, I mentioned "Bondage Tape".
This is cool invention for play with a partner when you are concerned with their well being and don't want to leave tape residue or irritate skin on you prisoner. That it looks lot like electrical tape really doesn't matter.

In a story, does it seem likely that an aggressor / burglar / kidnapper / robber would really be that concerned about leaving tape residue on the prisoner? Duct tape is cheap and easy to find, generally strong and dependable. When in doubt, use more of it. What kidnapper is going to spend the time and money to find a supply of bondage tape?

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

Ah yes I probably misunderstood your original post.

I've only done one set that could be considered a story, and we just stuck with duct tape since, as you said, it's really easy to get and super good at its job.