My Novel

Like a story? Need help writing your own? Post your thoughts and ideas here.
Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

My Novel

Unread post by Tesgri »

So I've been writing a full length novel since 2017, since being stuck at home all the time now I've had a lot more free time to work on it and I've made significant progress. I would like to share some of it and get feedback from the community however the issue is that, being a novel, it is lengthy. In total I am at page 142 and by my plans that's just a bit over half way down. That aside chapter length is roughly 9-13 pages each and a forum isn't really the best place to drop such a huge amount of text.

So what I'm asking is, if I post say a couple pages (more/less) from the novel would people be interested in giving feedback?

Subject matter is kidnap, Pavlovian conditioning and Stockholm syndrome; there is some abuse and bondage but I am also trying to keep it on the plot as well. I do hope some day for it to be published.

Any interest?

d3vious.g3nius
Tightly Hogtied

Re: My Novel

Unread post by d3vious.g3nius »

Hey Tesgri, would it be better to keep this semi-private?

You could drop a link/file/text via PMs to readers and then they can send you
feedback via PM's as well.

Also if you are not starting with the first chapter maybe a short description
as to where "we" are in the story before a reader reads the chapter you send?

I would be interested,
- d.g
"I am not helpless, I'm simply restrained at the moment!"

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

That sounds like it could be a good idea, I'll try to find a decent excerpt I can send your way.

rmcingle
Unfettered Newbie

Unread post by rmcingle »

Tesigri:

I would be interesting in proof reading your novel!

I have written a lot of BDSM stories myself: most posted for free on various websites, a couple that are being sold on Amazon. I know from my own experience that having an 'editor' would have helped me a lot!

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Ron

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

A couple rather large notes to update.

1) I have recently surpassed 100,000 words (which equates to about 400 pages long).

2) I have been in contact with a publishing company and as the novel reaches closer to conclusion we'll be talking more about getting it in stores.

I am very excited :D

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

An update since I was reminded of my post here and in case anyone is curious.

I am currently 160,000+ words into the novel and by my estimations I have 2-3 more chapters to go before it is finished. So very, very close.

Of course that estimate is not taking into account my penchant for things to go long since I underestimate just how long something takes to say well, or when the story takes a life of its own.

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee....!!!

It's done!!

341 (manuscript) pages (translates to about 600+ pages)
181,000+ words

It took me 4 years but my book is done. (now to edit, after a break)

d3vious.g3nius
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by d3vious.g3nius »

AWESOME, congats :thumbsup:

Quite an accomplishment. Keep us updated still now, pls ;)

- d.g
"I am not helpless, I'm simply restrained at the moment!"

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

Of course. Now I move into a few phases. First off I have a grammar and syntax app to run through the document, which will take some time. Then I have some friends who are willing to read through the whole thing to find other errors, grammatically sure but mostly things like continuity issues.

Then I need to find some way to save up a bunch of money and pay for professionals to look it over. The one company I've been talking with it's like 500$ for editing. :shock: Then more money to publish.

Yikes.

But, my goal is to have a physical printed copy of this book in my hand one day and I'm going to do it!

Natyropes
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Natyropes »

Have you thought about starting with a digital edition? I think it would be a little cheaper and would give you clues about the acceptance of it.

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

Well that's the general plan yes, that's what this company does for the most part, they just also have a 'print to order' feature.

The biggest issue I have with digital publishing is that, if I want to just post it somewhere, my only option is Amazon and not only will it not make much money there but it will also more than likely fall into oblivion buried under the mass of other stories that people can and do post there with no vetting of quality or justifiable worth.

I've spent to much time working on this book to let it suffer such a ignominious fate.

So that leaves me with companies, like FriesenPress (the company I'm mostly dealing with), where they will help edit, publish and advertise my book on various digital stores (like Amazon, Apple, Google, and Barnes & Noble) along with the option for physical prints when a customer, or myself, wants them.

Acceptance is certainly a big concern, so far the people who've read it (or parts of it) like it. Small sample size, certainly, but promising none the less. Especially since some are not into BDSM and they find the content acceptable. Which was a huge concern of mine while writing - trying to find that balance of adding in D/s and bondage without making it a book that only the BDSM crowd would enjoy.

Natyropes
Tightly Hogtied

Tesgri wrote:Acceptance is certainly a big concern, so far the people who've read it (or parts of it) like it. Small sample size, certainly, but promising none the less. Especially since some are not into BDSM and they find the content acceptable. Which was a huge concern of mine while writing - trying to find that balance of adding in D/s and bondage without making it a book that only the BDSM crowd would enjoy.
The last thing you mention seems to me to be quite adequate. Trying to find a wider audience. It must have been a puzzling job for you as a writer.

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

It certainly was at that. The protagonist spends more time in handcuffs then out of them, or leashed somewhere. Eventually even getting collared. But by trying to focus on the psychology - how she feels, her thoughts on losing her autonomy etc - I think I managed to make the book interesting to people with, at the least, an open mind.

Probably the funniest potential review would be from my mother whom, while she knows I'm into BDSM, is still very much a straight shot religious type. Still though, simply because her daughter wrote it, she wants to read my book. I can just imagine her thoughts on the nudity and swearing and ropes... or the fact that I also star on the cover as the protagonist. :lol:

lotharj
Chair Bound

Unread post by lotharj »

Wherever you find a home to publish please let us know how we can pay for a copy! Looking forward to reading it!

Natyropes
Tightly Hogtied

Tesgri wrote:Probably the funniest potential review would be from my mother whom, while she knows I'm into BDSM, is still very much a straight shot religious type. Still though, simply because her daughter wrote it, she wants to read my book. I can just imagine her thoughts on the nudity and swearing and ropes... or the fact that I also star on the cover as the protagonist. :lol:
...and your mother has already told you what she thinks of your book?

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

Not yet, though she has already basically said she doubts she'd be able to read very far.

Natyropes
Tightly Hogtied

Tesgri wrote:Not yet, though she has already basically said she doubts she'd be able to read very far.
sometimes people say one thing and end up doing another...curiosity is a serious matter ;)

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

Very true, I suppose all I can do is give her the chance.

The problem I'm coming across now is cost. To even get my manuscript looked at is going to cost me a bunch, even more to publish after that and there's even talk between my consultant and I that it may not be feasible to sell a book of this size with their (the companies) printing methods/costs.

Not that it's impossible to break it up into multiple books, but it would be a rather large endeavor to re-write portions of the book to fit with an ending and start to separate books rather than just chapters.

I suppose then that does bring up a question for those of you as my potential audience; do you think it's better to have one long book (it's 600+ pages) or multiple smaller ones?

boundBinder
Strict Strappado

Unread post by boundBinder »

I would recommend going through Amazon's self-publishing system. They won't let you promote adult content(an odd stance, since 'Fifty Shades' rose to fame on that platform), but even with no promotion, I managed a modest number of sales for my own BDSM novel--not quite 200 copies, plus one physical copy for 20 bucks to someone in India--and it was easy to do. I also published on a site called "Smashwords", who publishes through every other platform, including Nook and ITunes, but only got about ten sold.

Still, it is a publishing Avenue that is zero cost to you.

Tesgri
Tightly Hogtied

Unread post by Tesgri »

I've contemplated those kind of avenues, the problem is just as you stated - sales are rather lack luster. The thing with that kind of publication is that because it's so easy, and free, and everyone can do it - everyone does.

Beyond that my dream is to have a physical printed copy in my hand so for that I need a more full publication route.